Tigons, Ligers, now Wholphins

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
I'm sure this isn't news to many of you, but I thought it was interesting:

Link.

The young as-yet unnamed wholphin is one-fourth false killer whale and three-fourths Atlantic bottlenose dolphin. Her slick skin is an even blend of a dolphin's light gray and the black coloring of a false killer whale.

The calf still depends fully on her mother's milk, but sometimes snatches frozen capelin from the hands of trainers, then toys with the sardine-like fish.

She is jumbo-sized compared to purebred dolphins, and is already the size of a one-year-old bottlenose.
I guess this does occur occasionally in the wild as well.

As a side note, I'm sure that USA Today meticulously checks their facts, but:

Park researchers suspect the wholphin's father is a 15-foot long Atlantic bottlenose dolphin named Mikioi.
and
Atlantic bottlenose dolphins reach a maximum size of 12 feet and can weigh up to 700 pounds.
are from the same article, 2 paragraphs apart. :rolleyes:
 

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,239
4
ive never heard of a wholphin before, intersting..... i guess dolphins and whales are just as horny as us huh? :rolleyes: (ok i admit that was bad, but i dont have much to work with)
 

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
PlaceofDis said:
i guess dolphins and whales are just as horny as us huh? :rolleyes: (ok i admit that was bad, but i dont have much to work with)
Yeah, and they can't blame alcohol! :p

Actually, while on a nice family trip down to Florida last week, we took in a cozy dolphin show at Theater of the Sea in Islamorada (highly recommend the place, as it is not crowded and you can really get close to the animals). In this case, however, it was a little too close since apparently this is mating season or something. While waiting for the show to start, we could see the two adolescent male dolphins humping a floaty of some sort.

Also, during the show they are supposed to swim some sort of "ballet" with the female trainer, but you could see that they were actually trying to, um, do a different kind of dance with her. Luckily my kids are 4 and 1, so couldn't really pick up on it.
 

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
419
0
emw said:
Also, during the show they are supposed to swim some sort of "ballet" with the female trainer, but you could see that they were actually trying to, um, do a different kind of dance with her.
The Macarena?
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
emw said:
In this case, however, it was a little too close since apparently this is mating season or something. While waiting for the show to start, we could see the two adolescent male dolphins humping a floaty of some sort.

Also, during the show they are supposed to swim some sort of "ballet" with the female trainer, but you could see that they were actually trying to, um, do a different kind of dance with her.
ah, nice for that family video.....

went to the circus last night and they had some trained ponies.....one was very happy to be there :D

but this is the first time I've ever heard of a wholphin - makes you wonder how often it happens in the wild.

D
 

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
11,177
0
apple2991 said:
The Macarena?
LOL!

Of course, now I have that horrendous song going through my head, so I'll hate you for the rest of the day ;)
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
My hope is that the wolphin calf will prosper and do well. Wonder if they will have a contest to name the calf?
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.