Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
350 miles? Where are you getting that number from?

The CBP has it at approximately 321* miles (*mileage and material totals are approximate and rounded as construction activities are ongoing)

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/along-us-borders/border-wall-system

That number was "Last modified: September 14, 2020"

And most of it is replacement for "dilapidated or outdated designs," not a new wall.

As of late-June, 216 miles of new primary and secondary border wall have been built since January 2017.
Of that, most is in place of what CBP calls dilapidated or outdated designs. An additional 339 miles is under construction, and 183 miles in pre-construction. In construction, 311 thousand tons of steel have been used and 458 thousand cubic yards of concrete have been used.
I don't care what Trump does at this point. He is too incompetent and family members have been hurt by his reckless leadership. No matter what I'm voting for the other guy. Trump could give me a billion dollars and Id use like half of it to make sure the other guy won. Sorry...but thats where we are at with 200k dead and the small business economy being in shambles.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Funny how the wall, which isn’t finished (321/500+), already has already lowered border apprehensions for 8+ months in a row -https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/january-enforcement-actions-down-eighth-straight-month

or maybe it's because those people who were crossing the U.S. Mexico border decided to stop because the U.S. has a high coronavirus infection and death rate?

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I don't know who your sources are and where the data is coming from.

You're telling us your sources are more accurate than the government?
As you overlooked the last link, dated January. You probably overlooked the sources coming from the govt in this link too.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Oracle and Walmart? How random.
Either way, they only own a 20% stake in the company, and just because the data is stored in the US doesn’t mean anything.
This entire endeavor had absolutely nothing to do with national security, it was just Trump creating a problem where there really was none.
And either way, our president shouldn’t have any say in this at all. That’s why we have the NSA and the FBI, they are in charge of our national security. It’s just sad that one of the most powerful men in the world has spent so much of the last 3 months waisting time and resources on this non-problem.
There was very little evidence that the Chinese government was using any of this data, and even if they were, it wouldn’t be very useful.
And if anyone knows anything about technology, no matter where your data is stored, it’s not safe. The Chinese government might be spying on you, the Russian government might be spying on you, and the US government might be spying on you.
I mean hell, Facebook is a bigger security risk than this was. They were actually found to be involved in meddling in the 2016 election with the Cambridge Analytica scandal.
The only thing that TikTok was involved in was letting teenagers spam trumps rally tickets.
It’s just sad to see the US become more and more like China every year.
“If it’s not American, it doesn’t belong here” is absolutely not the direction we should be headed towards. We have an open market for a reason

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Very well, then in your specific case you should refer to him as a god.

Thanks for confirming why you got the facts and general sentiment of wrong — you don’t live in this country! You see our country from the lease of the fake media.

Rasmussen - who got it right in 2016 - polls trump at 53% approval, higher than Obama in the same period. https://www.rasmussenreports.com/pu...p_administration/prez_track_sep18?fullbrowser
Polls are useless. The only predictors worth any weight are gambling odds.
I'm not even going to comment on the rest.

Last edited:

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Wasn't vine nearly the same thing? I saw some of the videos on tiktok from my daughter's device and of course it's filled with a bunch of toxicity like other social media platforms. Narcissistic people spewing their beliefs and if you don't agree you are evil.
Vine was a success that got acquired then essentially shut down.
There was also YikYak, which the founders screwed up by essentially turning it into Twitter. They tried to undo it but were too late. Had some fun times while it lasted.
Snapchat stuck to their guns and survived despite an awful app update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deliro

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Polls are useless. The only predictors worth any weight are gambling odds.
I'm not even going to comment on the rest.
Polls are only useful when they are right. Which none of them were, except for LA Times and Rasmussen.
The majority of the wall is where border has already been. It’s no more effective than using a pillow to protect yourself from an oncoming train. In other words, the wall is absolutely useless when it comes to border security
05F87ECC-4D9F-4F09-AD6D-E05B7EB4A5D8.jpeg

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Are you able to access any of the above services from within China ?
The answer is no, and the history of Google in China is outlined here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_China

Chinese government hacked some Gmail accounts to obtain info on a foreign anti-Chinese-govt activist, Google responded by moving hosting to Hong Kong and removing the censorship since it wasn't required to censor there, China responded by blocking Google, Google left... Facebook didn't even try. But I encourage you not to take my word for it.

Last edited:

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Well the same “people” that use TikTok shop at Walmart so makes sense I guess

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Not without VPN, but then again, I also can't access many American newspapers and sites that don't want to comply with GDPR here in Europe.

I don't know if you are aware of it, but most Chinese know how to 翻墙 and access such sites. Just anyone doing business with Europe or the US have Facebook and Twitter accounts. It is blocked the same way The pirate bay or 4chan are blocked in many places.

Are you able to access any of the above services from within China ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.