Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TikTok this week announced that it has started automatically labeling AI-generated content created on third-party platforms, preventing AI images and videos from confusing and misleading viewers.

tiktok-logo.jpg

Content made using TikTok's AI creation tools has included an AI label for more than a year, but going forward, TikTok will also label AI images made through other platforms. TikTok's tool will read Content Credentials, a technology from the Coalition for Content Provenance and Authenticity (C2PA). Content Credentials are designed to attach metadata to AI content, facilitating AI labeling.

TikTok's AI labeling started rolling out today on images and videos, and it will soon be coming to audio-only content. Content created with AI will have a label that says "AI-generated" under an account's TikTok username.

Labeling may be gradual, as content needs to have Content Credentials included for it to be identified and labeled. As other platforms adopt credentials, AI identification will increase across all social networks.

In the future, TikTok will add Content Credentials to TikTok content that will remain when images and videos are downloaded, so people and other social networks can use the C2PA Verify tools to identify AI content that was made on TikTok.

Article Link: TikTok Becomes First Social Network to Auto Label AI-Generated Content

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
cool stuff. dunno if this is a slippery slope though (ie what the potential is for mislabeling real pics/vids as AIgen)- interested to see how things move forward and how other social media platforms react to this.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

stinksroundhere

macrumors member
May 10, 2024
Hopefully instagram follows,

Meta will never care about your safety and well being. They could end all the sex pests and thousands of roboscript created accounts daily but all they care about is the bottom line.

Tiktok tagging potentially malicious content means nothing except that they will allow the content to keep circulating with a label. The problem with that is people will copy the video, remove the label, blur it or edit it a little and that will evade any AI detection.

None of these companies care about safety. When shareholders demand more and more profit they will allow everything and anything and they will allow the worst scams to buy ads. It's money in the bank. If someone falls for a scam they blame the victim for being foolish.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Facebook needs to do this. People post boomer bait AI images on Facebook to get boomers to comment on it, then target them for scams. By boomer bait I mean like images of hunky or breasty soldiers holding cute babies, grannies proudly holding up what they just knitted, etc. All fake AI, obvious to young people, but to old people it must look real.

The_Cynic

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2022
almost banned in the us you mean, rest of the world can still use it.
It's also banned in India.
And isn't allowed in China.

And that's just two off the top of my head.
There are probably more.

But if you feel fine and dandy using a platform from an Authoritarian Government that turns a blind eye to slavery and organ harvesting.
You defend them all day long.

You really are the best person here.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
why? a simple “why” can sound so ominous/adversarial online lol, not my goal, I’m genuinely curious about your thoughts
Scrolling through short video after video really is for zombies. It teaches people to have really short attention spans. I would argue this short-form video crap makes people stupid.

Then there is the huge spread of misinformation because videos are so short you see only a tiny part of whatever it is...

Then there is the issue of all this user data feeding nefarious Chinese government AI algorithms to dream-up new ways to take advantage of democracies.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I'm against banning it. If you as a government are so scared, warn people about the possible dangers. Don't outright ban a way that people express their free speech.
Warn people about possible dangers? Like cancer warnings on cigarette packs and people keep smoking. Tell people watching really short videos like it's an addiction, it gives you a short attention span that could make you stupid, they don't care. There is "free speech" if it is responsible otherwise it is targeting someone else or some other group and removing some of their freedoms.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
It's also banned in India.
And isn't allowed in China.

And that's just two off the top of my head.
There are probably more.

But if you feel fine and dandy using a platform from an Authoritarian Government that turns a blind eye to slavery and organ harvesting.
You defend them all day long.

You really are the best person here.
I don't use tiktok, I lug them in with instagram, x and any other social media that promotes doom scrolling.

china got their own problems but if for one sec, you think the west is any different i got a bridge to sell you.

edit: wow what a reach you made, all i did was stating which jurisdiction tiktok is allowed and you want to get political 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: szw-mapple fan

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Scrolling through short video after video really is for zombies. It teaches people to have really short attention spans. I would argue this short-form video crap makes people stupid.

Then there is the huge spread of misinformation because videos are so short you see only a tiny part of whatever it is...

While I agree with all of the issues of short-form videos, banning TikTok will do nothing to curb this. American users will just migrate to Youtube Shorts and Instagram which copies both TikTok's format and all of its problems.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
While I agree with all of the issues of short-form videos, banning TikTok will do nothing to curb this. American users will just migrate to Youtube Shorts and Instagram which copies both TikTok's format and all of its problems.
TikTok will be banned because they are a business from China and China's government, by their law, has to have backdoor access to TikTok's servers. It is not being banned due to short-form videos training people to have short attention spans, right...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.