Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is offering TikTok users a four-month free trial of Apple Music to newcomers of the streaming service.

tiktok-apple-music-trial.jpg

As spotted by ApplePost and Apple Terminal, the deal is available to new subscribers through the short-form video sharing app, and offers an additional month on top of Apple's normal three-month free trial for new subscribers.

The promotion runs through January 4, 2021, and the offer's requirements include an Apple ID with a registered payment method.

The offer is delivered in-app via a pop-up notification, but it's not clear what TikTok users are doing to prompt the alert, which also highlights the official TikTok playlists available on Apple Music.

Last month, Apple offered a similar Apple Music promotion through the company's Shazam music identification app.
If after activating one of the trial offers you're not convinced, you can cancel your Apple Music subscription without losing your access to the service up until the trial ends.

Article Link: TikTok Promotion Offers Users Four Free Months of Apple Music

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Weird promotion with Apple's stance on privacy and Tiktok's controversial privacy guidelines.
If Apple had to agree with every policy like this from other apps before allowing such a discount, there probably wouldn’t be a lot of apps in the store.

I do agree that it does send a mixed signal. I wouldn’t have allowed such a promotion with this company.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
If Apple had to agree with every policy like this from other apps before allowing such a discount, there probably wouldn’t be a lot of apps in the store.

I do agree that it does send a mixed signal. I wouldn’t have allowed such a promotion with this company.
What do you think Tik Tok does that the vast majority of the apps in the app store don't do? They all collect inordinate amounts of data on you. Why wouldn't you have allowed a promotion with this company in particular?

sw1tcher

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004

Apple_Robert

macrumors Penryn
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What do you think Tik Tok does that the vast majority of the apps in the app store don't do? They all collect inordinate amounts of data on you. Why wouldn't you have allowed a promotion with this company in particular?
I agree that TikTok isn’t the only company with such a bad privacy policy. There are many others. And like I said, if I was in charge and touting privacy for the people using the apps in the store, I wouldn’t have allowed the app to pass review because it puts people at risk. I realize my viewpoint is not the norm and counter to many here but, that is how I feel. It is a good thing I am not in charge.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
I agree that TikTok isn’t the only company with such a bad privacy policy. There are many others. And like I said, if I was in charge and touting privacy for the people using the apps in the store, I wouldn’t have allowed the app to pass review because it puts people at risk. I realize my viewpoint is not the norm and counter to many here but, that is how I feel. It is a good thing I am not in charge.
Puts people at risk? What risk?

Mrjetsondc

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2020
So I took up the offer of 5 free months of Apple Music via Shazam.

As a hardcore Spotify dude for 10 years, I have to say, I’m impressed by Apple Music. I think bc I’m so entrenched in the Apple ecosystem with phone, watch and AirPods, it just makes sense.

i might make the switch from Spotify to Apple when the free trial is over. We’ll see.

rafark

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2017
Weird promotion with Apple's stance on privacy and Tiktok's controversial privacy guidelines.
Apple uses google ads to advertise their products. So they’re like “privacy is very important” but on the other hand they use and take advantage of google ads and the tracking of users...

Reactions: Jimmy James

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Something that doesn’t seem clear, can you get the free promo after already using Apple’s own free promo? Or is this for only new users of Tik Tok and Apple Music?

Last edited:

shplock

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2015
Somewhere in a Galaxy far far away
Because those other apps are limited in what they can collect from you not to mention the fact that they do not tend to be so closely connected to and run by the Chinese government.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Because those other apps are limited in what they can collect from you not to mention the fact that they do not tend to be so closely connected to and run by the Chinese government.
Wait, those apps are limited in what they can collect vs what Tik Tok can collect? Hmmm, that's new to me. Perhaps you can point me to your source for that claim.
How about the fact that the Chinese government disappear any Chinese citizen who dissents or heavily criticises them, how about that fr starters?
You do know the appalling lack of human rights in china right?
I didn't ask what the Chinese government could do. I asked about what risk Tik Tok posed in the app store. The answer you provided is an answer to a question that no one asked. Besides, even though China has crappy human rights record, we can't really throw stones because our glass house ain't exactly clean regarding human rights. Neither country's human rights record has anything to do with Tik Tok though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.