Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Hi all

As a parent with a daughter who is on tiktok, as it all her friends, I immediately banned it, deleted it and preventing re-installs upon the announcement of the awful content that was circulating the other day.

All I have to go on is the news, which reported the event 3 days ago. Can anyone confirm if this video and it’s many iterations, edits and shares has been cleaned up and removed now ?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for me as a parent to keep my teenage daughter safe on it apart from the education and staying sensible angle?

I have all the parental controls on the iPhone setup but I don’t use tiktok and don’t know how to use it to secure it for her

thanks

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m following this as well because my daughter want to use tiktok but I deleted it from her account and periodically check her phone to make sure she don’t have it installed.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Hi all

As a parent with a daughter who is on tiktok, as it all her friends, I immediately banned it, deleted it and preventing re-installs upon the announcement of the awful content that was circulating the other day.

All I have to go on is the news, which reported the event 3 days ago. Can anyone confirm if this video and it’s many iterations, edits and shares has been cleaned up and removed now ?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for me as a parent to keep my teenage daughter safe on it apart from the education and staying sensible angle?

I have all the parental controls on the iPhone setup but I don’t use tiktok and don’t know how to use it to secure it for her

thanks

If you’re in the US that decision may be made for you on the 15th...

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's user generated content - which is curated - but the response to remove it can only be done so quickly, only so much can be handled in a finite amount of time (outside of exotic video content machine learning).

At any given time, FB, Twitter, TikTok, IG, Discord, Twitch, YouTube, <any_other_social_network_here>, can wind up with content that's you might find inappropriate. I mean, even right here, I could post something you might not find appropriate, and all you could do is report it, and a moderator, when they're available, could remove it, but 100 other people might see it.

You've got recognize there's __always__ a danger of concerning/explicit content being published into these sorts of systems, heck, most general web searches turn up all sorts of shady results: so either you remove your child's ability to engage with it, or discuss it with them and hope that limits/removes any kind of negative impact.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It's user generated content - which is curated - but the response to remove it can only be done so quickly, only so much can be handled in a finite amount of time (outside of exotic video content machine learning).

At any given time, FB, Twitter, TikTok, IG, Discord, Twitch, YouTube, , can wind up with content that's you might find inappropriate. I mean, even right here, I could post something you might not find appropriate, and all you could do is report it, and a moderator, when they're available, could remove it, but 100 other people might see it.

You've got recognize there's __always__ a danger of concerning/explicit content being published into these sorts of systems, heck, most general web searches turn up all sorts of shady results: so either you remove your child's ability to engage with it, or discuss it with them and hope that limits/removes any kind of negative impact.

You have a valid point there. I need to sit my daughter down and talk with her so she can understand the dangers of the internet. I even went as far to limit the websites she can visit and took google off of that list of allowed websites.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Well if you want to play it 100% safe then sure ban tik Tok but I’ve seen stuff on twitter back in the day when terrorism was going on that was pretty bad as well. It’s hard to protect someone 100%

My point is, it depends on how old the kid is.

If I were a parent, if my kid was like 6, no I would not allow tik tok but once he or she grows up and all their friends are on there then no I would not want to be that parent that didn’t let my kind live life

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
It's just as safe/unsafe as any other social network like Instagram or FB (which unlike TikTok was actually caught selling user data multiple times), and I personally find removing TikTok from the kid's phone quite ridiculous, considering how far less vital information it collects compared to other services. Following that logic, you can ban your child from using any social media that exists.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It's just as safe/unsafe as any other social network like Instagram or FB (which unlike TikTok was actually caught selling user data multiple times), and I personally find removing TikTok from the kid's phone quite ridiculous, considering how far less vital information it collects compared to other services. Following that logic, you can ban your child from using any social media that exists.
Just because social media apps collect information they shouldn’t, that doesn’t make the potential risk to young children and there parents less meaningful or problematic.

In my opinion, parents should strictly monitor what is allowed on their child’s phone. And from a security standpoint, social media should be a no go. A phone for a young child should be used for emergency contact usage, not perusing all the social media sites, where children often post personal information about themselves and their family that should not be posted, which most kids don’t seem to take into consideration.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I don't know if it's safe, but the saddest thing I've seen on social media was on TikTok. A long time friend of my kids, one of those grade Super-A student that skipped grades and ended up in college at 14 or 15 due to her incredible grades, now twerks on TikTok all day long. As far as they tell me she's going to fail her classes (but this info might be pure gossip).

I don't use TikTok. I tried a long time ago, and after five minutes I realized that the impossible happened: someone created a social that is even worse than Twitter.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Rest assured kids will find a way.

True, but the concept is that of educating your kids. If your kids want to drink, or if they want to gamble, smoke, use drugs, they'll likely find ways. However, parents telling them (and educating them; forbidding is not THE main thing) might seed some doubts about the activities, or at least it might instill some sense of right and wrong.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't use TikTok. I tried a long time ago, and after five minutes I realized that the impossible happened: someone created a social that is even worse than Twitter.
Well, in a sense Twitter did it when Vine was created, which then more or less lead to something like TikTok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.