Tilde tabbing on macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sceneshifter, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I read somewhere that pressing cmd + tilde allows you to tab trough your applications quite nicely, however, on my macbook I can't find that sign at all? ANyone any clue? I have azerty belgian keyboard layout...

2. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

:apple: - tab will cycle through your running apps forward. :apple: - ~ goes backward. I don't know the macbook keyboard, but most computers the ~ is just to the left of the number 1 key, but if you don't have one, just use :apple: - tab

3. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

don't have one, but kinda use the symbol once in a while so if somebody knows where it is (SR MB) please let us know about it!

The tabbing with tilde is suppose to allow you to tab trough ALL open stuff, so not just applications, for example if you have two windows of safari open, it would scroll trough those and not just show one tab for safari.

Thanks!

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

Command+~ scrolls through the open windows of an application. So for me, it would jump between Safari and Safari Downloads.

Command+Tab scrolls through the open apps, taking you to the forefront window in each app. So, it would jump between Safari, iTunes, Mail, Adium, Transmission, Terminal, and Quicktime. (For me)

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What's your location? On the US keyboard it should be to the left of the number 1 key. Which it looks like it is here.

Other countries have other layouts so if you are not in the US it would be beneficial to know where you are.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

For me Cmd+~ is exactly the same as Cmd+Shift+Tab (it goes in reverse). It only tabs between applications not their all of their windows.

7. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I just learned this but turns out if you hit Cmd tilde first then it switches between app windows. If you hit cmd tab and THEN cmd tilde it goes through apps in reverse. I've just always hit cmd tab first so never knew the other functionality.

8. feyn-man macrumors regular

I don't think an action using that 3 finger is easy. HOHO