Tilt for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Interesting idea in theory but it appears to make the laptop unstable. Lack of a flat bottom may make it prone to rocking or moving.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pointless. Just use a magazine if it's too hot on your lap.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Can't help but see this as a way to turn your mac into a fat PC looking laptop.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

7. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Lap is not an issue...it's super hot and loud on my desktop.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're doing intensive tasks it's going to heat up and the fans will start spinning. Having or not having this thing isn't going to change that.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

People would pay money for that? They should just sell their Mac and buy an Alienware.

11. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

If it's sitting on my desk at home and helps it make less noise, I don't mind.

I wouldn't carry that junk around anyway.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Yesterday you were interested in purchasing one and today you own it? Does that mean you bought it last night?

13. Queen6, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

If the base of the "Tilt" separates from your Mac your going to have a very bad day. One member did buy one and he was very direct in describing the "Tilt" as cheap rubbish with poor fastener`s etc.

If you are concerned about temperature, elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the heat back to the base of the Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work relatively efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables, by blowing a continuous strem of cool air across the base of the machine this wicks away heat from the aluminium case and ultimately aids cooling of the internals by preventing excessive temperature build up. The Zefyr comes at a price, equally it`s built to the same standard as your Mac and it does work, and it can work with the mStand.

[​IMG]

Link: mStand

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link: Moshi Zefyr 2

You can use software to manually override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control, or you can look at UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp. For the Quad Core Pros it`s also worth considering gfxCardStatus and taking control of the GPU`s as the discrete GPU will generate significantly more heat than the integrated in most circumstance.

Why, well if you want this level of performance in such a small chassis this is one of the trade offs, just wait until you try video transcoding with Handbrake ;)

14. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

No, was trying to see if anyone has one and can comment on the performance.

I don't trust the reviews on their site or other plant reviews on the web.

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It sucks. Poor build quality, cheap plastics and does little to cool the notebook. I saw an increase in temps when using it, fan is stupidly loud as well.

16. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The mStand is huge and I don't have the space for it :(

I do like the moshi, though it's super expensive. But I think it will work.

I do use gfxCardStatus. The 15" 2011 MBP cannot use the Intel GPU via TB, only the 13" can since it has no discreet GPU.

Also have tried various fan control software. If I lower the fan speed, it automatically jumps up anyway so it doesn't matter.

17. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks for that.

I assume the best solution is to keep the room cool.

I'm in SoCal at the moment and it's super hot here! My workspace has no AC :(

18. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Have you looked at Rain Designs iLap? The only way software can help you is to stop the system getting to hot initially by running the fans say at 3K-3.5K continuously, once the CPU get to about 80C it wil just spool up to 6K regardless and depending on the model of MBP do a fair impesion of a jet engine:p.

As you said gfxCardStatus wont help when using an external monitor, you can try the Zefyr or you can try a USB powered fan, they are dirt cheap, and if strategically placed will cool down the case of the MBP. I used one when my Early 2008 15" fans started to quit and it helped to keep it running for several months. The Zefyr will work just dont expect miracles, the quality is outstanding and unfortunately so is the price.

A combination of say 3K on the internal fans and an external powered cooler may be the only solution, I guess much depends on your environment and how much background noise there is. I always have AC running and all my newer Mac`s run reasonably cool under moderate load, under full load there it little can be done with the Late 2011 2.4 i7 being loudest, only the Retina seems to handle heavy loads and high temps really well.

[​IMG]