Tilt macbook cooler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smork, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Smork macrumors member

Has anyone bought this cooler?
    What is your opinion on it?

I've yet to see any real world reviews of this, and it looks great.

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I bought one and returned it. Pretty poor quality and pretty poor customer service.

3. Smork thread starter macrumors member

What was so bad about the quality? Did it even "cool" any part of the macbook?

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The locking mechanism was flimsy and inconsistent.

Cheap plastics.

Fans were too noisy and often brushed the housing, causing more noise (speaks to the poor quality).

It did not cool and in fact I saw the reverse, it would actually cause a few degrees increase.

5. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

A couple of my friends who have 2008? and 2009 MBPs say that I should get a fan base to cool it whilst it's on a desk, it's my first ever Apple product so I'm unsure what to do. I think I'll wait to have the rmbp in my hand, use it for a few weeks and then consider investing in a fan.

Will there be a tremendous difference considering the rmbp has a new cooling system/ vents?? :)

6. Smork thread starter macrumors member

There will be. The vents for this account for the back side only.
    Hopefully they revise their product since it sounds somewhat shoddy and will up their product and customer service.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Only cooler i have seen make an impact to a Mac portable is the Mosi Zeryr; If you are concerned elevation of the rear of the machine helps, as sitting flat on the desk only reflects the head back to the base of the Mac. You can buy passive aluminium coolers like Rain Designs Mstand or iLap. Most powered coolers are designed for PC notebooks and dont work overly well with Mac`s one cooler that does work relatively efficiently is the Moshi Zefyr 2, as it`s principle of cooling is specifically designed for Apple portables
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    You can use software to manually override Apple`s own cooling algorithm by manually taking control of fan RPM and setting up power profile presets with SMC Fan Control, or you can look at UltraFan which allows you stipulate a preset temperature and the software will automatically raise and lower fan RPM`s to keep the system at the predefined temp.

Why, well if you want this level of performance in such a small chassis this is one of the trade offs, just wait until you try video transcoding with Handbrake ;)