Tilt stealth - MacBook pro best heat fix ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LouieCm, Oct 13, 2014.

1. LouieCm macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

As I have mentioned on my previous post, I am starting to work on AE CC and I was concerned about the heating issues on my MacBook pro 15 mid 2012, 16GB ram...I was told my alot of people that I shouldn't worry about it since Macs are suppose to do that, ....I am bit stuborn so I kept on looking for a fix, to make me less nervous when rendering a 30 minutes video project :). I came across this :https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themadminds/tilt-stealth-the-ultimate-macbook-pro-cooling-pad*, I wanted to ask if anyone has tried it and if not, anyone who might understand about this things better then me, maybe could advice me if by buying this, would it make life easier for me and my Mac when working on AE ?

Thank you so much for you time and thanks in advance.
    Louie

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Louie, you truly are stubborn. Your computer doesn't have a "heating issue". Your computer feels warm to the touch because you are making it do work. Work means power used. Power used means heat produced. Your computer doesn't need any external help from you to take care of itself temperature wise. Just leave it be.

Cooling pads are useless on a Macbook pro, all ventilation is done at the back, at the hinge. Blowing air across the bottom will reduce temps by about 3 degree, if that. It's a whole lot of money spent for a whole lot of nothing.

Your computer doesn't need fixing, it's not broken.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Believe them and relax.

4. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

A Mac is going to get hot regardless of what cooling device you use or lack of one. I am sorry to say but I have to agree with everyone here. I know it's hard to ignore but Macs just run hot. lol

5. rezk0 macrumors newbie

As a side note, I had a 2014 rMBP that would hit 100*C while under load for short periods of time and everyone told me it was a non-issue as well. Took it into the Apple Store and they ran diagnostics on it for literally 2 minutes and found thermal issues and replaced it.

6. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

If what you say is true, could you do a CPU test using CineBench r15 and tell me what temperatures your CPU hits?

My CPU will hit 100*C very quickly.

7. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Your Mac can regulate it's own heat. Mine can get extremely hot when under load, but the system cools itself.

The retina models have a much improved cooling system, but even the old unibody ones are were fine. Just make sure your vents can breath.

8. rezk0 macrumors newbie

I think there's a difference between the CPU hitting 100*C and the CPU experiencing thermal CPU throttling at an abnormal rate. Temperature alone isn't enough to paint the entire picture.

The 2.8GHz CPU was being throttled to ~2.5GHz rather than bursting to the 4GHz it's capable of running at. I found a tool to completely disable the Turbo Boost and was able to run the system at a 100% load, peaking at around 85*C and not throttling down. I kind of lost faith in the Turbo Boost.

9. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Turbo boost is only for single or dual treaded applications, and requires thermal and electrical headroom to use. Generally you will not see it when really stressing a laptop as using all 4 cores at 100% at stock speeds is more than the cooling system in these laptops can handle.

The cooling system in MacBooks is frankly pathetic. Apple adds just enough to keep idle temps in check and then forgets about the system actually being in use.

70 degrees watching netflix is proof enough of this. At least Yosemite somewhat fixes this.

10. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

Just to ease any apprehension about your "heating" issues, I'll just say that when I was ripping all of my blu-ray collection my PC had it's processor running at about 118c for 5 days straight. I really didn't care that much if the processor died but the fact of the matter is it didn't. It still works perfectly fine to today.

11. rezk0 macrumors newbie

It was funny because I literally spent hours and hours looking at the thermals before taking them in and saying I had issues after 2 minutes of diagnostics, but what I saw was interesting.

Under a load, all cores would do the turbo boost, going up to around 3.5GHz as well as creep up in temperatures. As soon as they hit the magic 100*C mark, they would actually throttle down below the base core speed, dropping to around 2.5GHz and sustaining there. Using a third party tool to disable Turbo Boost, I was able to maintain the 2.8GHz clock speed as well as reasonable temperatures. That doesn't seem like desired behavior, though.

12. brroy macrumors newbie

So many bad responses. I have a 2.8ghz mid-2009 unibody with 8gb ram and a faster upgraded hard drive. From your other thread 15 mins to start is all in the hard drive for these computers. My disk drive actually delayed my start slightly also, so once that was fixed it booted quicker... and didn't moan and groan at me.

My computer had a happy 5 year life, and I have just moved onto a 13 inch retina macbook pro. I didn't want to upgrade, my computer was extremely quick. It booted in 3 minutes, and never crashed. BUT it ran hot, oh my, it ran HOT HOT HOT!!!

Typical apple ****wit on these forums "oh listen dewd it runs warm because it's working, it's normal" --- errmmm. Sure, but these computers suck at regulating that heat. It was a known problem from Apple, along with plenty other problems the douchebags at Apple claim no responsibility for. Such as the battery, wouldn't replace it under warranty even though it was 2 years old and had service errors, and lasted 20 minutes off power. I had full Apple care and ended up purchasing a new Hard Drive at a discount after the first went, complete failure after 3 years, and again at 5 years. Disk Drive, Apple replaced it under Apple Care. Airport card, Replaced under Apple care. Then the Screen glue came loose, it was just out of warranty by a couple months and apple wouldn't touch it. Ended up completely coming apart and then cracking the glass. lol. Oh and back to the heating issue, taking the bottom off and blowing compressed air into it every 6 months is a great way to help the fans. That kickstarter cooler looks pretty ideal. My computer got so hot it was hard to type on the upper left keys after prolonged hard use.

I recommend saving for a new computer honestly. But if you want to keep it go right ahead. No problem, more Ram (16gb), SSD, general maintenance, it'll run fine.

13. Gav Mack, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

The 2012 15 doesn't have anywhere near the heat issues of the 2011, which has 85 watts and big CPU/GPU die sizes to cool. The 2012 has 61 watts and much smaller dies.

If you are worried about heat in the MBP just pay a competent engineer to strip it down, put a tiny amount of decent thermal paste unlike apple do and polish the heatpipe contact plates nice and shiny to make the bond between the plate and die that much more smoother.

I haven't found a Mac notebook/iMac/Mini yet that hasn't not run significantly cooler afterwards, gamers tell me that they have more TDP headroom and render bods say the times are cut and the fans don't spin anywhere near as much or for so long. I've re-pasted every single model of Intel Mac, even the nMP.

14. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

Each and every single time there's a product line refresh, you (from this point on, "you" refers to people in general) want x,y,z (as in new features) in it.
    Yet, you want your machine(s) to be thinner and lighter.
    There is always a trade-off. You want it thinner, lighter, equipped with more features. There is limited space. Heat sink is a developing "technology". It will get better eventually.
    Take a look at the improvements over the past few years alone, and give them a round of applause. Our feedback is important for the years/products to come, but we shouldn't just sit down and complain about stuff 7/24. Just give them some time, and "try" to enjoy the "best" available 'till they do so.
    Kind regards,

15. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I and many others would have taken the older, ticker design with a retina display, Ethernet port, and super drive in a second if we could. More thickness would allow for adequate cooling.

Heat sinks are far from being a developing technology, we fully understand the physics behind them, and all it comes down to is surface area. How much metal can you expose to moving air.

Apple is insistent on making every product thinner and thinner, usefulness be damned.

16. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I also fully understand that the buff, dull surface finish of nearly all of the die plates made for the 'palm tree' heat-pipe assemblies from 2008-12 unibody designs means they transfer heat far more inefficiently than one with a pair of die plates polished flat like mirrors instead. Even the massively improved retina cooling systems can be improved with the same treatment, though not as stark as the older models.

If Apple applied the same micron style precision to the gap between the heatsink and the CPU/GPU die as they do everywhere else heat wouldn't be anywhere near an issue for those with Mac notebooks full stop.