"Tilting" text bug when scrolling Safari in landscape mode. (3GS)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Jun 22, 2009.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

This is going to be REALLY hard to explain. When my 3GS is in landscape mode, and I scroll up and down quickly through TEXT in Safari pages, the screen almost warps, jelly-like (jello-like, to the Americans). It's like the left side of the text takes a bit longer to get to the position it needs to be compared to the right side. It's not even that subtle, and instantly distracting to me. Before anyone tells me my 3GS is broken, I repeated this behavior on my wife's 3GS as well. It's really weird.... It doesn't do it in portrait mode.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I'm trying to replicate your problem on my iPhone and I can't seem to do so. What webpage are you visiting where this occurs? I tried the front page of this site and I can't get any "Jello-like" text behavior.

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Just go to any page with a lot of text, for example a news article on CNN.com. You can literally hold your finger/thumb in place and move it up and down and watch the "warping." I've now repeated this on 3 out of 3 iPhone 3GS. My wife knows what I'm talking about, too, which is a good reason for concern!

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Someone else has to notice this! I just called a friend in the UK and he says his 3GS does the same thing! It's literally like the whole line TILTS when you scroll in landscape mode! It's ridiculous!

5. BB15 macrumors newbie

Just tried it on CNN.com and didn't notice anything... :confused:

6. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Now confirmed on 4 out of 4 3GSs I've tried it with. Honestly, it's so obvious. Just scroll at medium speed up and down a page in landscape mode, and it's so blatant that I'm blown away nobody else sees it.

7. ErezG macrumors newbie

Landscape Scroll Warping

I get the same problem when in landscape mode and web browsing.

When scrolling down the page, the right side looks as if it is scrolling down faster than the left. Makes the whole thing look as if you are holding the phone crooked.

Quite annoying really.....i hope they fix this!

8. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Well, that's because the glass is bending the light!

Bad physics joke. I don't have any explanation, try bringing it back to the Apple Store.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I can see what you're talking about but I don't think it's a defect... Looks more like an optical illusion to me.

Distracting nonetheless.