Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage10.png
Vanity Fair magazine has published its yearly listing of top media power players, called 'The New Establishment'. Apple CEO Tim Cook is paired with designer Jony Ive in the number 1 spot, up from number 4 in 2011.
In the 18 years that Vanity Fair has been ranking America's power players, Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, was the youngest person ever to top the list. But Zuckerberg relinquishes his two-year perch at the top of Vanity Fair's annual New Establishment list this year, trading places with former spot No. 4 holders Tim Cook and Jonathan Ive. In the wake of Steve Jobs's death, Vanity Fair says, the two longtime understudies have upheld the C.E.O.'s vision for Apple, and have even hinted that the best is yet to come for the wildly successful company.
The top five reads like a who's who of tech with Cook, Ive and Zuckerberg being joined by Amazon head Jeff Bezos, Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, and Square and Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey.

'The New Establishment' isn't the only list that Tim Cook finds his company represented on: Apple is also listed as number 8 on Fortune's list of the world's fastest growing companies -- an astonishing feat for a company that will do nearly $150 billion in revenue this year.

Article Link: Tim Cook and Jony Ive Top Vanity Fair's 'The New Establishment' List

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
what does that even mean?

Isn't this just the top technological companies in recent history?

"establishment" noun
1 foundation, institution, formation, inception, creation, installation; inauguration, start, initiation.
2 business, firm, company, concern, enterprise, venture, organization, operation; factory, plant, store, shop, office, practice; outfit, setup.
3 institution, place, premises, foundation, institute.
4 (the Establishment) the authorities, the powers that be, the system, the ruling class; the hierarchy, the oligarchy; Big Brother."

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
"establishment" noun
1 foundation, institution, formation, inception, creation, installation; inauguration, start, initiation.
2 business, firm, company, concern, enterprise, venture, organization, operation; factory, plant, store, shop, office, practice; outfit, setup.
3 institution, place, premises, foundation, institute.
4 (the Establishment) the authorities, the powers that be, the system, the ruling class; the hierarchy, the oligarchy; Big Brother."

Guess there is alot to choose from here....

Let's go with "Big Brother"

(even though "the oligarchy" sounds cooler )

sickr1rider

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Actually it's pronounced Al-OOO-Min-E-Um.

my deepest apologies, its been a while since I watched that video which forced me to buy my 08 Macbook Uni-body. Its still holding strong but I am afraid I couldn't take a 13in retina video

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I do wish people would acknowledge Sir Jonathan Ive's title!

Vanity Fair is an American magazine, writing about someone working for a California company. Jonathan Ives as a British subject is entitled to use the honorific "Sir" before his name. But the use is specifically not prescribed. And I think that while Ives might be very proud of being the recipient of the honor, he probably doesn't make a point of reminding his colleagues at Apple, or his neighbors out in Silicon Valley, to refer to him as "Sir Jon."

The habit of certain elements of the British popular press to refer to honored sports and entertainment figures as Sir Paul (McCartney) and Sir Alex (Ferguson) is something of an affectation. I wouldn't expect serious US journalists to start doing the same.

It ought to be noted that Honorary Knighthoods given to people who are not British subjects (for instance former US Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger) do NOT entitle them to use the honorific "Sir." They are referred to as "Caspar Weinberger GBE" - rather than "Sir Caspar"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.