Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
So, to paraphrase, "our maps suck, use someone else's"?

Not very encouraging.

What would you like him to say?

He admits it fell short of what we expect from Apple, He says they are working non stop to make it better, he offers you other solutions if Maps really are that bad for you.

Sardaan

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Put the Google maps app on the app store and let the consumer decide, the web browser work around is not as convenient.

As the apple maps improve the turn by turn directions will eventually win out on my phone, but they need time to bake.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Put the Google maps app on the app store and let the consumer decide, the web browser work around is not as convenient.

This! We want google maps back, at least until Apple Maps is working as intended.

And don't give me that "there is no ios 6 app for google maps." Just use the one from ios 5. Apple can easily do that.

----------

What makes you think that there is an iOS6 Google Maps app at all?

There's one on ios 5 that they can easily "transport" to ios 6. It's not like a whole new operating system.

fastfinger

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
What hurt me most was loss of detailed traffic data but traffic works w Google mobile so won't be switching to Android for now.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
And don't give me that "there is no ios 6 app for google maps." Just use the one from ios 5. Apple can easily do that.

Yes, from a purely technical standpoint that would be no problem

----------

What hurt me most was loss of detailed traffic data but traffic works w Google mobile so won't be switching to Android for now.

What is the problem with Apple Maps traffic?

skyehigh

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Not a good start for Cook , there is no way this should have been brought out this early as it was nowhere near ready . Did the guy actually use it before it came out ?
Google maps should have been kept along with new Apple maps till they perfected their own maps , then ditch Google , but thats just common sense ....

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
I really think they should have 2 icons, one for Google Maps (The old one) and Apple Maps. It should come with both until Apple Maps is really good again.

skyehigh

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I really think they should have 2 icons, one for Google Maps (The old one) and Apple Maps. It should come with both until Apple Maps is really good again.

Everyone with half a brain would have went that route but for some crazy reason Cook decided to release it now .
Cant help thinking Jobs would never have done it this way .

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Yes, it is appropriate that he apologises. Did he have any choice given the disaster that is Maps and the way this is making iPhone users angry all over the world?

Apologise is easy and an appropriate first step, but I'd like apple to make it right by allowing users to restore the old maps until apple's version works properly. Or allow people to move back to 5.1.1 . These are easy measures that would demonstrate goodwill at a time when apple really needs it.

Suggesting other apps just doesn't cut it.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Do you guys understand that the data in Google Maps is not Apple's property and that they probably have to negotiate again before they are able to use it?

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I don't really care about the maps thing but I noticed this was less of an apology and more of an excuse. Just sayin'

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Do you guys understand that the data in Google Maps is not Apple's property and that they probably have to negotiate again before they are able to use it?

Here's what they do then, swallow their pride, pull their maps and save it for iOS 7. In the mean time call Eric Schmidt and..............

stuffed-wallet.jpg

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Awesome he published this

Most people would have hidden. It's going to create a lot of publicity.

But because they admitted a mistake (everyone makes mistakes) I will continue to buy their products providing they still evolve.

Unlike BMW who produced a bunch of cars that can be stolen in 30 seconds and deny there is even a problem.

Interested in seeing how this admission affects their share price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.