Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-car-silhouette-250x218.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook has spoken to Bloomberg to clarify for the first time the company's intentions in the automotive market, following several reports in recent months indicating that the company has put its ambitions to build a car on the back-burner.
"We're focusing on autonomous systems," Cook said in an interview on Bloomberg Television. "It's a core technology that we view as very important."

"We sort of see it as the mother of all AI projects," Cook said in his most detailed comments to date on Apple's plans in the car space. "It's probably one of the most difficult AI projects actually to work on."
Cook has not been as forthcoming in previous remarks when asked about Apple's car plans, choosing instead to call the automotive space "interesting" because of the potential for new technologies. However recent rumors had converged around the belief that Apple has refocused its car project, which reportedly involved more than 1,000 engineers when it originally began in 2014.

Ballooning costs and a change in management were said to have pushed Apple's car strategy increasingly toward autonomous driving systems, leading to dozens of employees involved in the project being laid off as part of an internal "reboot".
"There is a major disruption looming," Cook told Bloomberg, citing self-driving technology, electric vehicles and ride-hailing. "You've got kind of three vectors of change happening generally in the same time frame. If you've driven an electric car, it's actually a marvelous experience. "
Cook's comments are particularly timely, following indications that Apple's exclusive focus on self-driving technology has accelerated in recent months.

In April, the company was granted a permit from the California DMV to test self-driving vehicles on public roads, and is rumored to be planning to test its self-driving car software platform in three 2015 Lexus RX450h SUVs. The SUVs have already been spotted out on the road fitted with a range of sensors and cameras.

Apple is thought to have several teams working on different aspects of its automotive software. In Canada, a team of two dozen former BlackBerry QNX customers are said to be developing the base operating system, while another team is working on the software that will run on it, such as a heads-up display and self-driving capabilities.

A report by Bloomberg last October claimed Apple could return to developing its own vehicle in future, or partner with existing carmakers, but given Cook's latest comments, any prospect of an Apple Car seems some way off, at least for now.

"We'll see where it takes us," Cook told Bloomberg most recently when asked about the chances Apple could one day make its own vehicle. "We're not really saying from a product point of view what we will do."

Article Link: Tim Cook Confirms Apple's Focus on Autonomous Driving Systems

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
An Apple Car Rev A product, was something I was looking forward to.......

I guess lost Apple lost some interest given they had to offer transparency in the development and testing of such vehicle due to safety corners. This is not an iMac you ship with broken wireless....and patch afterwards, that most of the tech industry does these days

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Will probably drive to the iFarm :)

I really do wonder when Apple will reveal their autonomous cars and how will it compete with with TESLA?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
He emphasised being the "core technology" - I'm guessing they wish to harness AI and be the "brains" of cars, as opposed to building their own vehicle? Plus build the network?

iPad in the console, iPad headrests, chips all over for manufacturers to easily implant, Apple Maps, beacons, cameras etc...

Whatever it is, I'm sure Apple will want to make the most profit for best margains, whilst being of service and pushing the needle forward. Exciting times.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
He emphasised being the "core technology" - I'm guessing they wish to harness AI and be the "brains" of cars, as opposed to building their own vehicle?

I think so and it makes more sense than building and selling their own car.

I rather have a car made by say Audi that's powered by Apple technology than a car made by Apple.

That's what I'm talking about.
Car makers already have the factories and most importantly the network of car dealers and authorised garages where you can have your car fixed during warranty.
You can't take your car to the AS and have it fixed, and I don't think Apple is willing to open hundreds or thousands of garages

Last edited:
Reactions: JaySoul

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
The last thing I would do is to let my car be driving by a software. It is going to fail. In the street you need skills. Is not of what you could do but about what every one else could be doing. On top of that... it is a software with bugs. Would you be riding at 80 MPH on a software?

Reactions: Aston441

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Makes sense. If they don't have the cord technology nailed there's no point in building a car. But I'm highly skeptical that existing automakers who are already working on all of this stuff are going to adopt whatever Apple is working on. I think if Apple is going to be successful they're ultimately going to have to build a car. Maybe it will start out as a fleet of vehicles for a ride sharing service and individual consumer cars.

Reactions: tongxinshe

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
He emphasised being the "core technology" - I'm guessing they wish to harness AI and be the "brains" of cars, as opposed to building their own vehicle? Plus build the network?

iPad in the console, iPad headrests, chips all over for manufacturers to easily implant, Apple Maps, beacons, cameras etc...

Whatever it is, I'm sure Apple will want to make the most profit for best margains, whilst being of service and pushing the needle forward. Exciting times.

I rather have a car made by say Audi that's powered by Apple technology than a car made by Apple.

I think so and it makes more sense than building and selling their own car.
And which automaker is going to incorporate this? They're all already working on their own stuff. No way are they going to turn over something as important as this to a 3rd party. And when has Apple ever been successful being a piece of technology in someone else's product? Yes Apple is a platform company but most often its companies building on top of Apple's hardware products. Apple Pay is only available if you use Apple's hardware. The W1 chip isn't available for 3rd parties to use. Outside of Apple Music on Android and iTunes on Windows what Apple technology can you use without owning Apple hardware? And the only reason iTunes was ported to Windows is because most people owned Windows PCs and the iPod requires a PC to sync music to the device.

IF Apple can nail the software powering these autonomous/self driving vehicles then I'm not worried at all about their ability to build a car. The software is the much more difficult part IMO. I'm surprised people think Apple can nail that but can't actually build a car.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Apple may just develop the autonomous driving system and sell it to MFR's that don't want to or can't afford to develop their own or didn't start early enough (there will be many, not GM per se, but Mazda etc.). This will be the way to really get into the vehicle for them. The bonus is we might have a vehicle with some privacy - the future otherwise looks like its trending towards the normal manufacturers embracing surveillance capitalism - making your vehicle data (location etc.) theirs.

Bit of an unconventional approach for Apple, but it sounds like they dropped making their own car...

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
This is what I am talking about.
Car makers already have the factories and most importantly the network of car dealers and authorised garages where you can have your car fixed during warranty.
You can't take your car to the AS and have it fixed, and I don't think Apple is willing to open hundreds or thousands of garages
Its funny to read this, if you replace "car" with "phone".

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple may just develop the autonomous driving system and sell it to MFR's that don't want to or can't afford to develop their own (there will be many). Bit of an unconventional approach for Apple, but it sounds like they dropped making their own car....
Hmm.. this doesn't sound like it. Sounds like Cook is keeping with Apple tradition of not discussing future products. Maybe he's separating core technology from a shipping product so will talk about the former but not the latter.

In the interview on Bloomberg Television, Cook was hesitant to disclose whether Apple will ultimately manufacture its own car. "We’ll see where it takes us," Cook said. "We’re not really saying from a product point of view what we will do."

Reactions: CarlJ and macs4nw

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The last thing I would do is to let my car be driving by a software. It is going to fail. In the street you need skills. Is not of what you could do but about what every one else could be doing. On top of that... it is a software with bugs. Would you be riding at 80 MPH on a software?
Obviously there has to be a fail safe. Autonomous driving is not a new concept though.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

Agreed. I've driven over one million miles now. I've never had an accident, which makes my track record objectively SIGNIFICANTLY safer than AI cars. I want ZERO tech in my car. It is all distracting. All I care about is steering suspension drivetrain and suspension and suspension. And suspension. Any money wasted on gizmos is better applied to superior suspension. It blows my mind that even today most Toyota's have the rear wheels hanging off a big bobby pin instead a even a cheap independent setup of ANY kind. Those cars are one emergency avoidance maneuver from killing their occupants.

Don't even get me started on the horrors of the current gen of software controlled electric power steering! I wonder how many people it has killed so far that would be alive today if they had had plain hydraulic or unassisted steering?!?

venusboy

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2011
This is gonna be hard choice,
- On the one hand the Google car will follow the best directions to ge me there
- but on the other hand the Apple car won't get a virus and crash
[doublepost=1497356406][/doublepost]

Actually most planes land at airports with AI nowadays

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Apple's focus is definitely on the right place now. If you can do a vehicle but not the robot part (also the electro drive part) you have lost the soul of the car. This is the unknown territory that is redefining the product and industry.

If you have the robot and electro tech part down, and own the patents, you can have any of the current OEMs form metal, plastic, glass, carbon fiber and leather into the shape you want, and put it together for you, as a contract manufacturer.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'd rather have a car made by Audi too - but powered by Audis VC and it already has a HuD.
You can run CarPlay over it now, but CarPlay really does suck by comparison and i never even bother with it anymore.

Trust me I own an Audi. And a GTI. The tech sucks in both. And they are new cars.
Apple will only get better at this( one hopes).

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I don't see Apple doing good in this space if they are only making the core technology to put in other cars. Apple will want 30% of each car sale, and they will not let the company have any data the AI system collects.
Also, if they actually make the cars, then like cheap lap tops compared to Apple's premium, they will want 5x the cost, so Apples entry point will be $200,000 and go up to something like $800,000 just to have reasonable features.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC

Machines will fail, certainly. But humans fail at a much higher rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.