Tim Cook confirms April for Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by as11ley, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. as11ley macrumors 6502

as11ley

Tim Cook just confirmed that they are on track to release Apple Watch in April in the quarterly earnings call!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Shipping in April

Tim Cook said that the Apple Watch would ship in April. I can hardly wait!

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Unprecedented use of an earnings call to make a product announcement.

4. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

5. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Just listening and heard him say this. It's still so long away!

6. as11ley thread starter macrumors 6502

as11ley

Agreed. Took me by surprise, nice surprise though!

7. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

A nice surprise for me would be "shipping next month"

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Boooooooo, hopefully there is still a March announcement though. Thats really what Im waiting on :apple:

9. Dave245 macrumors 601

I'm really looking forward to this :D maybe they are trying to work out a few things such as battery life and that's why it's April. Either way I can't wait to try on a :apple: Watch :cool:

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Depends on whether "April" means April 3 (first Friday in April) or April 30th.

11. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

12. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

April's really not that far away. Sounds good to me! Now when will they have another event so we can get more details?

13. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Agreed. I'm dying here.

14. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

April 3 would be awesome!
    5 year iPad anniversary

15. as11ley thread starter macrumors 6502

as11ley

I agree too. Lets just hope they manage to squeeze a few extra minutes out of the battery in testing between then and now.

16. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Yeah, hopefully.

17. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

18. Donstil-nl macrumors 6502

Donstil-nl

19. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

This is incredibly disappointing. I thought the idea of having to wait until march was bad, but honestly I am starting to think I am just going to get a jawbone up3 and forget about the :apple: watch.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

It's the first third of the year.

So one additional month (and maybe less if "April" means April 3 or 10) means you're going to get a Jawbone Up3?

I'd rather they wait a month and get it right than rush some half-baked product out the door. Everyone complains about all the bugs in the new iOS versions every year because they are essentially bound to a fixed release schedule. They have the luxury of taking their time with the Apple Watch.

21. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I already wasn't sure when people were talking March. I have been considering the up3 for a while it will do a lot of what I want the watch for at a lot lower price. 6 months from announcement is just too long in my opinion.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

It's not much different from the original iPhone announcement, plus we had Angela Ahrendts' comments on the training video about a "spring" release, which implied no earlier than March 21 (or March 27th since that's a Friday). My guess is that they will have a March media event to announce the Apple Watch in more detail (including the prices of the more expensive models) and the pre-order date (which may well be in March) along with the rumored new 12" MacBook.

23. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

To me it is a lot different than the iPhone announcement. When you show off a device that is a companion to the new iPhone you are releasing, but by the time the accessory/companion device happens you are over halfway through the current phone model cycle that is just too much time.

Plus we went from Early 2015 during the keynote, to spring according to some comments, to now apparently April.

24. KPOM macrumors G5

April is in the first third of the year, and is definitely in the spring. I'd say Apple got more precise with their announcements, but not any less accurate. April may be stretching "early" to the absolute limit, but they likely wanted to give themselves as much flexibility as possible and so used the vague language so as not to commit to a specific month until they were pretty confident they knew what month that would be.

The Apple Watch isn't an accessory to the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus specifically. Instead, it's a companion to the iPhone line, all the way back to the iPhone 5. My guess is that eventually it will branch off as an independent product once the battery technology lets it handle more tasks on its own. When Apple announced the Apple Watch, there were 200 million iOS devices that were compatible with it. Now there are 275 million iOS devices, and by the time it launches there may be close to 325 million. So the timing may well be perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.