Tim Cook Invests in Water-Efficient Shower Head Startup Nebia

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
that goddman price tho. give me 400 dollars and i won't take shower for a week, saving the same amount of water.
It should go to whomever you live with if you aren't showering for a week.

Many showerheads are $400 or more. Guess people here don't know that. Mine was well under $100, though.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Get better soap.
Strangely enough I find that Dial bar soap rinses the best. All the articles I've read on soft water say that cleansers with synthetic detergents rinse better in soft water, but for me actual soap (as in lye plus a fat rather than a surfactant/detergent) rinse better. Still it's a pain compared to rinsing in "regular" water and it leaves etching on glassware. If you've never showered in really soft water, it's hard to describe what it's like. For me it's because our municipal water comes from a salt water aquifer that's naturally low in other minerals besides salt and is then treated with reverse osmosis, so we're getting something closer to distilled water. Soap normally attaches to minerals in water to help it rinse away.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Strangely enough I find that Dial bar soap rinses the best. All the articles I've read on soft water say that cleansers with synthetic detergents rinse better in soft water, but for me actual soap (as in lye plus a fat rather than a surfactant/detergent) rinse better. Still it's a pain compared to rinsing in "regular" water and it leaves etching on glassware. If you've never showered in really soft water, it's hard to describe what it's like. For me it's because our municipal water comes from a salt water aquifer that's naturally low in other minerals besides salt and is then treated with reverse osmosis, so we're getting something closer to distilled water. Soap normally attaches to minerals in water to help it rinse away.
Our water is so hard here that softeners are necessary. Unless you want to replace all water devices and pipes every decade. I didn't like Dial in any water, seemed to cling forever, so opposite of you I guess. Been using Lever for 2 decades, now.

Hard water makes soap ineffective, not real sure about "washing away", that part doesn't matter if it doesn't clean anything.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I think this is really cool. My only question is what about hard water. I live in a part of the country that has really high mineral content and I wonder how that would do with this atomizing process.
How much of a problem is it already? I'd expect it to get worse. Look as these surfaces, especially the fill pathways. I'd suggest a water softener or the expectation of a regular deliming.

I'm skeptical because it seems more like a mist, where the force would dissipate quickly after leaving the nozzle. Great for the head but I wonder if you'd get enough force lower down on your body. Which is why I suspect they had to add the wand accessory.
Water pressure of 35PSI is the minimum requirement. That's like letting air out of your tires. Might not be so bad for those of us with decent water pressure. I would expect this to add a bit. I agree though, your knees down would get wet with the top shower head and that's probably about it.

Last edited:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Our water is so hard here that softeners are necessary. Unless you want to replace all water devices and pipes every decade. I didn't like Dial in any water, seemed to cling forever, so opposite of you I guess. Been using Lever for 2 decades, now.

Hard water makes soap ineffective, not real sure about "washing away", that part doesn't matter if it doesn't clean anything.
Yes, I've heard about it being hard to lather soap in hard water. It's not either or, though. There is water that is somewhere in between. Neither of us seems to have that, though.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Same here. I'm all for the environment being more important than lining someone's pockets.

I would agree, but the iPad and the Watch does far more than the shower head. The standard one that comes with your domicile for free or one that $20 or $100 does the exact same thing.
I should point out that I won't be buying one of these shower heads, but regarding the comment that you can get a shower head for $20 that does the exact same thing as this one would be like me asking why someone would buy an iPhone when you can get a smartphone for $60 including shipping that does the exact same thing.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_228891.html

Apple Watch? Why? This one does more for only $31

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_158361.html

Personally it just bothers me that people will spend a couple of thousand on a disposable item like a TV for their newly built house but will baulk at the thought of spending a few grand during the construction period to better insulate their home or upgrade to triple glaze windows or make it more efficient in some other way.

Rant/ over.

Reactions: neeklamy

Digital Skunk

macrumors 604
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I should point out that I won't be buying one of these shower heads, but regarding the comment that you can get a shower head for $20 that does the exact same thing as this one would be like me asking why someone would buy an iPhone when you can get a smartphone for $60 including shipping that does the exact same thing.

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_228891.html

Apple Watch? Why? This one does more for only $31

http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_158361.html

Personally it just bothers me that people will spend a couple of thousand on a disposable item like a TV for their newly built house but will baulk at the thought of spending a few grand during the construction period to better insulate their home or upgrade to triple glaze windows or make it more efficient in some other way.

Rant/ over.
Not a problem, but I was comparing the free shower head to a $20 or $100 that you'd buy.

And yes I agree. I love doing my best for the environment but these companies are really just appealing to the super rich among us and that demographic isn't large enough to make an impact. Really nice concept but I'll wait until it gets down to a cool $150 at least.

Reactions: mr.steevo

hackneykermit

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
I wonder if anyone could afford to buy such a luxurious shower head (up to 399$)?? As for me it's a waste of your money. There are a lot of shower heads today in the market that cost much more cheaper, you can see lots of examples here http://perfectshowerhead.com
I doubt reasonableness of such purchase....

Ronlap

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
I drill out the flow restrictors or buy showerheads from Canada where their people still have some freedom. Low flow shower heads suck and I don't see this one being any better.