Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
Time's person of the year 2010: Zuckerberg

2012: Cook

L O L ?

what did they really do ?

why not the cop who gave boots to a homeless person in NYC ?

why not someone who did something really special ??

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Time's person of the year 2010: Zuckerberg

2012: Cook

L O L ?

what did they really do ?

why not the cop who gave boots to a homeless person in NYC ?

why not someone who did something really special ??

Zuck had more impact personally than Cook did. If Cook makes it is because of Apple's financial success. He brought nothing new to the table as Jobs did in the past. In fact, Cook has egg on his face for a few things that happened in the past year. Good businessman, but person of the year?

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Zuck had more impact personally than Cook did. If Cook makes it is because of Apple's financial success. He brought nothing new to the table as Jobs did in the past. In fact, Cook has egg on his face for a few things that happened in the past year. Good businessman, but person of the year?

The fallacy is in presuming that PotY is about success. From Time's FAQ:

The criterion is “the person or persons who most affected the news and our lives, for good or ill, and embodied what was important about the year.” A lot of news is bad news and a lot of people who make bad news are very powerful people. TIME’s editors aren’t immune to that reality. Famously, they named Hitler in 1938 and Stalin in 1939 and again in 1942. These were men who had a huge impact, not just in those years but over the entire century. It’s easy to stand by those choices, looking back. Arguably you could do a bad guy every year and be justified.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I think Cook is doing a good job at Apple. However, I doubt he deserves to be person of the year after only one year on the job.

The bar for being considered person of the year keeps getting lower and lower at TIME. Why don't the people there consider someone who has done something extraordinary and who's made a difference like it used to be? There are people who have stood up to authority like Bradley Manning, Julian Assange, Malala Yousafzai. How about an organization like Anonymous or Occupy? Or that guy that let kids in his house from the shooting on Friday?

Anyone remember when the person of the year was You? Seriously, EVERYONE was person of the year a few years back.

One more thing.... If Cook is even remotely considered, why didn't Jobs ever get to be person of the year at TIME?

Last edited:

Yevhen

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Tim Cook doesn't deserve it. It doesn't matter anyway since it looks like Kim Jong Un is winning.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Nothing against Tim, who seems like both a good person and a good CEO, but what has he done to merit this? And as bad as I feel for the young woman who got shot, I'd say the same of her. If we're looking for real achievements, I'd give it to the three scientists.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I think Cook is doing a good job at Apple. However, I doubt he deserves to be person of the year after only one year on the job.

The bar for being considered person of the year keeps getting lower and lower at TIME. Why don't the people there consider someone who has done something extraordinary and who's made a difference like it used to be? There are people who have stood up to authority like Bradley Manning, Julian Assange, Malala Yousafzai. How about an organization like Anonymous or Occupy? Or that guy that let kids in his house from the shooting on Friday?

Anyone remember when the person of the year was You? Seriously, EVERYONE was person of the year a few years back.

One more thing.... If Cook is even remotely considered, why didn't Jobs ever get to be person of the year at TIME?

Or Adolf Hitler? Joseph Stalin (twice)? I think people misunderstand Person of the Year. It doesn't mean a moral endorsement of the person or their deeds.

And "You" was about the explosion of social media and user generated content (something totally new, totally unprecedented in human history), not some touchy-feely-make everyone feel good about themselves thing.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Any Person of the Year thing should go to public service workers. Like those first responders who helped in tragedies like Newtown or Auroa and the like.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Or Adolf Hitler? Joseph Stalin (twice)? I think people misunderstand Person of the Year. It doesn't mean a moral endorsement of the person or their deeds.

And "You" was about the explosion of social media and user generated content (something totally new, totally unprecedented in human history), not some touchy-feely-make everyone feel good about themselves thing.

I'll take those two over "You".

Since we're on the road of talking about evils, how about The Corporation? I mean, SCOTUS has deemed that corporations are people too. :rolleyes:

But seriously, how about they have one where it's The Voter or The Union Worker this year? People who really made a difference.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I wish they didn't nominate any CEOs in the list... It should be reserved to actual heroes of the world that actually thrived to make changes to help humanity without any profit-driven intent.
Profit is a just and moral motive. One that has driven America since it's founding.

TIME is an American publication.

Connect the dots.

Leddy

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
It'll be some right wing dictator no doubt.

I'm surprised Dick Cheney hasn't copped it yet.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wish they didn't nominate any CEOs in the list... It should be reserved to actual heroes of the world that actually thrived to make changes to help humanity without any profit-driven intent.

Yes because profits are evil, right? :D

But hey if Obama can win a Nobel peace prize then Tim Cook can be Time's person of the year. Both equally ridiculous.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
While a happy user of Apple products, I don't feel Tim Cook has done a lot to make the world a hugely better place...The only one from that list that really in my opinion deserves person of the year would have to be Malala Yousafzai. She actually took a wound for what what she believes in. Tim Cook released the iPhone 5 and the iPad 4th generation. Discovering the Higgs Boson is cool and a breakthrough in Science, but again, not something that's going to make the world a better place.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
*makes mental note not to read appleinsider tomorrow....*

Cook shouldn't win. I would give it to the scientists.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
How could anyone beat the Higgs Boson team? The discovery is of monumental importance to our understanding of the universe. But why would Time readers care about that? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.