Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

timcook.jpg
Nike today announced some changes to its board of directors, which will see Apple CEO Tim Cook serving as lead independent director going forward. Cook has been a member of Nike's board since 2005, serving as chair of the Compensation Committee and as a member of the Nominating & Corporate Governance Committee.

Nike Chairman Phil Knight has also retired from the board of directors and is being replaced by Mark Parker, who has served as Nike's president and CEO since 2006, in a transition that was first announced a year ago.

In addition to serving on Nike's board of directors, Apple CEO Tim Cook also serves on the board of directors for the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights, a role he was appointed to earlier this year.

Article Link: Nike Appoints Apple CEO Tim Cook as Lead Independent Director

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Lol Cook can't even run Apple and here he is trying to run the US government and now part of Nike. Tim lacks laser focus, which shows. Apple's product lines are bloated and old. Steve Jobs came back to Apple and cleaned up the product lines. I think we need Steve 2.0 to fix Apple.

555gallardo

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2016
Slovakia
Lol Cook can't even run Apple and here he is trying to run the US government and now part of Nike. Tim lacks laser focus, which shows. Apple's product lines are bloated and old. Steve Jobs came back to Apple and cleaned up the product lines. I think we need Steve 2.0 to fix Apple.

Send me there for a weekend.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Smart laces coming your way. Will sync w/ your iPhone to let you know your shoes are untied. only available with our special shoelace adapter - there is also only one hole or "port" if you will needed for these smart laces. Only $299

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple's product lines are bloated and old. Steve Jobs came back to Apple and cleaned up the product lines. I think we need Steve 2.0 to fix Apple.

Apple has a lot of products because they are a mature company... reaching hundreds of millions of customers a year. And those customers have different tastes, needs and budgets.

It's a lot different than it was in 1997.

Why does Ford sell 17 different models? All they really need is a family sedan and a pickup truck. ;)

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I want more new exciting products with Air in the name. Like the Lightning Mac Shoe For You AIR. I hope those are in the amazing product pipeline.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
I kind of wonder if Cook would be a better CEO of Nike than he is of Apple.

Not that he's done a bad job.

He would be an exactly as good or bad CEO of Nike than he is of Apple – which perfectly summarizes his problem in comparison to Steve Jobs: Tim Cook is a data accounting man with no real passion for the product itself. (As ridiciously hard as he tries to pretend in the keynotes in the good old Steve way ...) Cook could also be CEO of a toilet paper company or an oil firm as of tomorrow. Which is okay, most CEOs are probably like this – but IMO it's not the trait which drove Apple from nearly insolvent to most valuable company of the world in 15 years.

Personally I think he was a much better COO.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.