Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmccullough108

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
http://bpmredux.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/tim-cook-shows-youre-never-to-big-to-respond-to-the-little-guy/

Didn't expect a response but I got one. Currently being looked at by the Apple engineers in the US, may have to hand in my 4S if they can't resolve by checking out the diagnostic info remotely.

If anything though I hope it helps push this one to the top of the fix list.

Glad they are looking into it for you. Curious though, is this the issue that they are thinking is hardware? I think they were saying the "slow wifi" is a possible software issue, whereas the non-connectivity is a hardware.

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
I don't know.
I've passed them all the details of the phone itself (Serial etc) as well as screencap showing the Wifi toggle is greyed out completely.
I'm wondering whether iOS6 affects certain wifi hardware on the 4S (assuming different components were used between units)

I downgraded to 5.1.1 and it worked fine again, so it's not a hardware fault per se.

I'll let you know what responses I get. It may lead to me handing it in and getting a replacement 4S but at least it's been 'formally' acknowledged now. Just hope there's a 6.01 in the pipe soon for the rest !

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
To me, Tim Cook seems like a pretty great guy. While he's clearly got his own style of running things, as he should, he's clearly learnt a lot from his former mentor.

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Ok, so Apple have requested the phone be sent in for examination and a new replacement phone is being sent in return. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a quick workaround but at least I have a resolution.

Hope it helps others in the long run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.