Tim Cook Says Apple is 'Very Focused on Autonomous Systems'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It's no secret that Apple is working on an autonomous driving system, thanks to statements from Apple CEO Tim Cook, information published by the DMV, and the presence of Apple's autonomous test vehicles on the road, but during today's earnings call, Cook re-emphasized Apple's deep interest in the technology, and he even hinted Apple's work on autonomy could be used for more than vehicles.

"In terms of autonomous systems, what we've said is that we are very focused on autonomous systems from a core technology point of view," Cook said. "We do have a large project going, and we're making a big investment in this from our point of view."

[​IMG]

Cook went on to call autonomy "the mother of all AI projects," a statement he's shared before in an interview with Bloomberg. Cook also hinted that Apple has other autonomous projects in the works beyond a car system.

"Autonomous systems can be used in a variety of ways -- a vehicle is only one, but there are many different areas of it. And I don't want to go any further with that," he said.

Apple has presumably been working on an autonomous driving system since 2014, when rumors of its efforts to create an electric vehicle first surfaced. Apple has now moved away from creating a full vehicle and is said to be focusing on self-driving technology instead.

Since April, Apple has been testing its autonomous driving system in several Lexus RX450h SUVs, which can be spotted on the roads around its Cupertino headquarters.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says Apple is 'Very Focused on Autonomous Systems'

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

automatically slows down the iphone year after year

3. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I would prefer if they were very focused on the Mac, and even the iPhone, perhaps we would have Touch ID on the Edition :eek:

4. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

5. RCS31 macrumors regular

Do you guys not realise that Apple have a different department working on autonomy from the iPhone, it's not like resources are shifted away from the iPhone or the Mac

6. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

7. Zirel, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

Zirel Suspended

Zirel

"You'll ride in robot cars within 5 years"
    Actual quote from Alphabet's Sergey Brin, 5 years ago.

Certainly not google robot cars, then. Don’t think Tesla’s are yet “robot cars”.

8. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

This isn't 100% percent true. Apple has moved software developers back and forth before and macOS has been deemphasized before.

10. wizard macrumors 68040

Autonomous hunter - killer robots!!!!!!! Apples intention here is to take over the rest of the country and install a leftist dictatorship. Every sate will become a commifornia type state.

11. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

Whoever comes up with the perfect female robot first wins.

12. Rob_2811 macrumors 65816

Loads of focus on automation, just not on the Mac ... :p

13. lec0rsaire macrumors regular

I don't know how much of a market there would be for an Apple car. Tesla is at the forefront of innovation and the traditional upmarket luxury makers (MB, BMW, Audi, Land Rover & Lexus) will always be in high demand.

14. rmcq macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2017 ---
    So, an autonomous Segway then?

Or more seriously, autonomous wheelchair?

15. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Reading ignorant comments regarding this is rather frustrating honestly...

This is Apple guys, working on autonomous driving. Let that sink in. Sure, many car companies like Tesla are having their crack at it. But with confidence Apple stepping into the field will drive forward (ayyy) this field in a big way.

Just to think within 20 years that all driving on the road could potentially be automated.

16. Benjamid macrumors newbie

Benjamid

Autonomous API! Lets developers create automation systems for ships, drones, grass cutters, floor cleaners, factory assembly robots with improved self reliance and other things that move in the real world.

17. ChrisA macrumors G4

Read Cooke's words carefully. I think he views "autonomous systems" as a big category and self driving cars as just one kind of autonomous system.

He might have in mind a long list of other uses for autonomous systems. In fact any machine that currently needs human or every task that needs a human. An example might be unloading a truck or harvesting fruit from trees.

I agree with him. This is a huge field. Cars are just a beginning.

People who in low skill jobs need to worry and think about going back to school.

18. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what he's getting at, but I am fascinated. Automation that isn't just about vehicles.

I honestly don't know what it could be, but it is an incredibly Apple-like thing to invest in an underlying technology that other people can build on top of. AutonomyKit.

Also, you guys are exhausting sometimes. Yes, I know you want them to work on the Mac. Point made. But are we not allowed to talk about anything else the world's most profitable company is doing?

19. AppleSauce007, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

AppleSauce007 macrumors member

I think Apple may announce an autonomous system in the field of AirCraft navigation in partnership with Boeing. Remember that Apple bought Coherent Navigations a few years ago.

Remember this presentation?
    https://web.stanford.edu/group/scpnt/pnt/PNT09/presentation_slides/12_Bencze_iGPS.pdf

Well, the Iridium Constellation has been upgraded big time recently.
    If Apple still uses the constellation, they should have much more bandwidth advanced capabilities now.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/21/15386854/apple-satellite-internet-boeing-alphabet-google-hires
    http://macdailynews.com/2017/06/15/...-access-via-constellation-of-3000-satellites/

Time will tell.

20. gatearray macrumors 65816

"from a core technology point of view"

...so no Apple branded cars, but a lucrative licensing deal with the reviled Uber, back channeled through ex-VP Bozoma Saint John, its genius!!!

:)

21. tipoo macrumors regular

It feels to me like a company that doesn't want to miss a big technology train, but isn't sure how to come to market, given the Project Titan layoffs.

22. Tech198 macrumors G4

"Autonomous systems can be used in a variety of ways -- a vehicle is only one, but there are many different areas of it. And I don't want to go any further with that," he said.

haha... very classic of Tim :)

23. Mr Staunton macrumors regular

The electric version comes with a modified thunderbolt usb-c cable, unfortunately, conventional ports are incompatible so new charging ports would have to be installed, everywhere.

24. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I just realized MacRumors didn't mention the launch of the Tesla Model 3 last week. I realize this is an Apple focused website, but with Apple thought to be aiming to "give Tesla a run for their money" with their car, I'd think it'd be relevant to look at what Apple's potential future competitor is doing.