Tim Cook Says Apple Products 'Change the World' and Aren't Priced Just 'For the Rich'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has ranked third on Fortune's annual list of companies that "change the world" based on the social impact of their core businesses, and CEO Tim Cook sat down for a related interview with executive editor Adam Lashinsky.

[​IMG]

Cook agreed that Apple has changed the world, primarily through its products, which simply enable people to accomplish more.
    He added that Apple has also changed the world through environmentalism, education, and advocacy for human rights, privacy, and philanthropy.

When asked why Apple doesn't run a charitable foundation, Cook said having a "separate thing" with a separate board of directors "wouldn't be Apple."
    Cook mentioned Apple's free Swift Playgrounds curriculum as an example of how its products enable people to learn and create.
    Those people who learn to code may eventually become developers. Cook reiterated that the App Store economy supports millions of jobs.

Cook later disagreed with Lashinsky's opinion that Apple's business strategy is to "make premium-priced, high-margin, high-end products."
    Cook also hinted that Apple has "much more" to accomplish in the health-related area, and hinted at future products or services to come.
    Full Interview: Tim Cook on How Apple Champions the Environment, Education, and Health Care via Fortune

Article Link: Tim Cook Says Apple Products 'Change the World' and Aren't Priced Just 'For the Rich'

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

3. UL2RA macrumors 6502

UL2RA

Why does Apple always make stupid statements like this when their ridiculous prices are questioned? Phil responded with something along the lines of we're paying for the experience, not the product. Whatever that means.

4. RickInHouston, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017

RickInHouston macrumors 6502a

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I think he underestimates how many people buy an iPhone on a monthly plan from their carrier and if they didn't have that option they'd not have one at all.

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I agree with Cook. The iPhone experiences changes the way we use our devices and iOS is simplistic, fluid and intuitive. And the iPhone has a lineup that offers something for everybody. Not everybody has to purchase a $1000 iPhone if they don't desire.

7. Jakewilk macrumors member

Yeah, I mean, that’s why they keep the Mac mini around and up-to-date, right?

8. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

I am not rich relative to other Americans. I own Apple products. They are not for the rich. QED.

I am very rich relative to the rest of the world. I own Apple products. They are for the rich. QED.

9. RCS31 macrumors regular

Considering that IBM switched their employee's computer lineup to Macs because it was cheaper in the long run, I can't fault Cook for saying this.

10. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

That predicted iPhone 8 price begs to differ. Hope it blows us away enough to sign into another mobile contract

11. mimue88 macrumors newbie

mimue88

an iPhone for MORE than 1000$ isn't for the rich... ok

12. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

Cook is right, poor people get to experience Apple products as well since Apple's furious pace of planned obsolescence allows poor countries to receive a prodigious supply of older Apple products to add to their toxic waste sites.

13. DaveWotzit macrumors member

DaveWotzit

From the UK the Isle of winning at sports *NOT*
    Not priced for the rich . . . but it helps; especially in the UK!

14. HardRain macrumors regular

I recently travelled overseas and visit what many would consider poor countries. But then I saw all the people happily using their iPhones, iPads and even Mac Pro's even though they haven't been updated for so long, they still enjoyed using them. So anyway, I thought well here it is, the proof that Apple isn't just for the rich! I mean these people barely had enough to eat or proper housing, but well that didn't stop their love for Apple products!

15. HallStevenson macrumors 6502

HallStevenson

OMG !! I think this means that the leaks indicating the new phone will be $1000 (US) or close were a trick !! They'll end up being in the $500-700 range instead after all !! :rolleyes:

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not priced for the rich, just to make middle class people poor. :D

17. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

If there is an appropriate place to use the "fake news" slogan, this is it. What a lot of bull...fake news.

18. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

19. ACST macrumors member

With free applecare+, Apple Music, 2GB data and Airpods obviously. :p

20. Murphintosh macrumors newbie

Murphintosh

"simplistic"?
    I'm quite sure you meant to say simple.

21. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Tim is out of touch with the average family household then.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Five years ago I could get a decent Apple laptop with 500GB HD for a reasonable amount of money. Even upgrade memory further without much cost.

Now, I do feel like I need to be "moneyed" to get the same spec. And because I'm now locked in to that spec I need to further anticipate my needs in advance.

23. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

24. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Because Apple is ripe with narcissism.

25. HardRain macrumors regular

Tim is right, they aren't just for the rich, they are also for the 'heavily in debt'.