Tim Cook Says He Met Donald Trump Because 'You Don't Change Things by Just Yelling'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last week, Apple CEO Tim Cook attended President-elect Donald Trump's tech summit at Trump Tower in Manhattan alongside other tech leaders, including Alphabet CEO Larry Page, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Oracle CEO Safra Catz, and Tesla CEO Elon Musk.

[​IMG]

Since the roundtable meeting, which reportedly focused on topics such as job creation and economic growth, Apple employees have wondered if it was important for Cook to meet with Trump, whose stances on issues such as encryption and immigration reform have been viewed controversially among the tech industry.

To address those questions, Cook issued an internal comment to employees, in which he said he has "never found being on the sideline a successful place to be." He said "governments can affect our ability to do what we do," and noted the way to make progress on key issues is to "engage."

A copy of the question and answer, posted internally, was shared by TechCrunch:
    Despite any personal misgivings he may have had in the past, Cook reportedly stayed at Trump Tower after the summit was over to meet privately with the President-elect for further discussions.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says He Met Donald Trump Because 'You Don't Change Things by Just Yelling'

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Tim Cook is right. Exiling yourself from people you disagree with is no way to promote change or reach compromise.

3. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

Tim Cook, the guy who is a liberal to protect his gay rights and a conservative to protect Apples hidden cash abroad. Tim wants his cake and eat it too.

4. usarioclave macrumors 65816

5. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

Good to see that he does have some class. Can't say that of many other supporters of Clinton, who have been acting in a very disappointing way. Threatening electors to vote against Trump, these useless recounts where Trump still won bigly and whatnot. So this is very refreshing of Tim to say.

6. usarioclave macrumors 65816

Trump doesn't care if you're gay. He cares if you agree with him.

7. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Who even gives a s*** what happened at this meeting? :apple:

8. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

We have held the notion for far too long that everyone has to agree on everything to be able to be friends and that isn't true.

Now I am not saying Trump and Cook are going to become buddies (although they could if they wanted to), but I am saying that you can disagree with issues and still be civil to one another and perhaps even find common middle ground in cases like this.

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

10. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

Yes, and so instead of yelling at you, I'm going to quietly buy a Windows laptop for the first time in my life because of how seriously you fumbled the new MacBook Pros.

11. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

His writing skills are even duller and more poorly articulated than the canned presentation nonsense he attempts to deliver at a Keynote. If being articulate were a requirement to run Apple he never would have been in the running.

Gil Amelio is more articulate; and that's sad. For example using affect and positive, twice in the same short sentence is one example of an inarticulate and painful style of prose.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

'Quietly' being 'publicly announcing on a forum'?

13. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Yeah, it's Mike Pence and most of the new (evangelical Christian) administration who care if you're gay, then you might get electrocuted straight. At the very least you'll be subject to removal of anti-discrimination legislation, or subject to new discriminatory legislation.

14. snebes macrumors 6502a

So many C*O titles in the first paragraph. It was like yelling their names.

15. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

You call this quietly?

16. hashholly macrumors 6502

I never understood why you have to be on or the other, liberal or conservative...can't you believe in ideals in both ideologies?

17. jase1125 macrumors regular

Such complete BS. One day it would be good for you to join reality.

18. 69Mustang, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

This 100%. My wife and I disagree all the time. I mean all.the.time. We keep things civil by agreeing that she is right... all the time. Always. Day and night. Year after year after decade after decade. She will always be right.

/'cept when I'm alone
    /in a separate room
    /in a separate state
    /possibly a different country

then and only then am I ri...
    <phone rings> hold on a sec...

Hmmm. It seems I am incorrect. I've been informed She's right in all those instance too.:(

/mentally screams I'M RIGHT! in my mind
    <phone rings... again>:eek:

On topic: Tim's right, yelling doesn't change things. 'Cept maybe your sleeping location.

19. Larry-K macrumors 68000

I don't know, seemed to work for Trump.

Reasoned discourse may have seen its day.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Tim Cook is an adult unlike most of today's pajama wearing safe space clowns.

21. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

You can be conservative and not think the government should interfere with gay people's private lives. And yes, they ARE private lives and none of your business.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

23. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

He's actually correct. Pence does support things like conversion therapy even though it's total quackery.

24. Larry-K macrumors 68000

You can, but then you'll be pilloried by everybody.

The "Lizard-Brains" amongst us can only think in binary.