Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During today's earnings call covering the fourth quarter of 2020, Apple CEO Tim Cook was asked about Apple's payment services, where he said that contactless payment usage could see growth in the United States due to the pandemic, where people are aiming to use cash less and less.

apple-pay-hand.jpg
As you can imagine in this environment, people are less wont to hand over a card. Contactless payment has taken on a different level of adoption and I don't think we'll go back. The United States has been lagging in contactless payments and I think the pandemic may very well put the U.S. on a different trajectory there. We are very bullish on this area and there are more things that Apple can do in this space so this is an area of great interest to us.
Cook also said that Apple in general continues to be enthusiastic about payment services. Apple Card is "doing well," and Apple Pay is "doing exceptionally well."

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Says Pandemic Boosting Contactless Payment Adoption in United States

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
Here in the UK, I think I’ve used a credit or debit card about twice in the last six months. Everything can be done contactless now
I was in London at the beginning of the year and was surprised how many contactless places there were, you guys are ahead of us here in the US for sure

Reactions: jimthing

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I admit, I am a very ‘germ conscious’ person, and I don’t even use my debit card anymore. Anywhere I go, it’s contactless payment at the pumps where I don’t have to touch those nasty terminals in stores. I won’t even frequent a store if they don’t support Apple Pay. Less touching = Stopping cross-contamination=Slowing spread.

boss.king

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2009
we need to be able to store our ID securely on our phones too.

yes, I know some of you won't like the privacy implications of that, but I for one would gladly ditch my wallet completely.
I'd love to be able to have my medical data, driver's license, passport, access cards, bus pass, etc all stored on my phone and watch. I already entrust my credit card and bank details to my phone, the rest shouldn't be that much of a hurdle to overcome.

Obviously, in some places this is will be harder than others.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G4
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
we need to be able to store our ID securely on our phones too.

yes, I know some of you won't like the privacy implications of that, but I for one would gladly ditch my wallet completely.

Indeed.

Canada, at least here in Ontario is FINALLY looking towards storing our Drivers license digitally. So you'll see this work as a connected push for NY State and most likely Illinois as well.

JosephAW

macrumors 601
May 14, 2012
Yeah it finally forced a retailer gas station to roll out support for tap pay, but Walmart didn't budge.

Just wish I could use a different passcode for Apple Pay purchases vs unlocking my device. :rolleyes:

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Doing my part to forward this cause, everywhere I can use a card, I ask, “do you take Apple Pay?” More and more are saying yes, albeit some have to push some buttons to make it work. It really is an elegant solution for Covid and having an Apple Watch makes it all that much more streamlined.
I love it when a plan comes together. America! Get your plan together!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
That's great Tim.
It's just a pity you have to take your mask off, and risk infection/death when you need to unlock your phone with face ID.
Everyone in the media seems to be saying Touch ID should have been a priority to have put in the power button for this years models, and from NOW thru the rest of this year and into most of next year? if the exact time this is needed.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Well, it sucks right now, because you always have your mask on, and need to enter a passcode every time to pay. Needless to say, I've been using my Apple Watch now when it was brought to my attention I can just use that.

Reactions: LeadingHeat

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Yes because handing my phone to a police officer at a traffic stop is definitely on the top ten list of things I've dreamt of being able to do.
I don’t know of a state where providing your name/date of birth is not sufficient. Also, the police cannot go through your phone (without consent or a warrant) if your ID is on there.

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
That's great Tim.
It's just a pity you have to take your mask off, and risk infection/death when you need to unlock your phone with face ID.
Everyone in the media seems to be saying Touch ID should have been a priority to have put in the power button for this years models, and from NOW thru the rest of this year and into most of next year? if the exact time this is needed.
The design for iPhone 12/Pro was locked in before Covid hit so it’s blindly pessimistic to think it was laziness that kept Apple from incorporating Touch ID into them. You want Touch ID, a 6 year old technology on a modern device? That’s the iPhone SE. When wearing a mask with Face ID one needs only enter their passcode to unlock. It’s not optimal but it’s entirely an unforeseen situation Apple couldn’t have anticipated.

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Well, it sucks right now, because you always have your mask on, and need to enter a passcode every time to pay. Needless to say, I've been using my Apple Watch now when it was brought to my attention I can just use that.
I hardly ever use my XS for ApplePay anymore. Apple Watch makes a simple process even simpler. On the rare occasion I have left the house without my Apple Watch, I’ve never felt like entering a passcode was that much of an inconvenience. I’m more annoyed by the terminals that require a freaking signature. A signature! In the year of our lord 2020!

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
I admit, I am a very ‘germ conscious’ person, and I don’t even use my debit card anymore. Anywhere I go, it’s contactless payment at the pumps where I don’t have to touch those nasty terminals in stores. I won’t even frequent a store if they don’t support Apple Pay. Less touching = Stopping cross-contamination=Slowing spread.
My favorite is when stores have Apple Pay, but their terminals still ask you a thousand questions because they haven't been setup properly. So you have to touch the stupid screens anyway. Looking at you, CVS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.