Tim Cook Shares Behind-the-Scenes Look at Apple TV+ Show 'Little America'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook has taken to Twitter this weekend to share a behind-the-scenes look at the making of new Apple TV+ show "Little America."

The entire first season of the immigrant anthology series debuted on Apple TV+ on Friday. The show was created by Kumail Nanjiani, Emily V. Gordon, and Lee Eisenberg.

Each episode in the Apple TV+ series is based on a real-life tale pulled from Epic Magazine, and in the video "Inside Little America," Nanjiani and Gordon discuss what motivated them to bring the stories to the TV screen.

"Making a show about immigrants in this day and age, it's going to be seen as political, but we really wanted these to be human stories," says Nanjiani. "These are not stories with any kind of agenda."

"A big thing that connects all the episodes is people trying to find a sense of home. Your geographical home is gone, and so you have to find home here. I think that's why people will connect with this. Even if they may not look like these people, they'll feel like these people."
The series has received largely positive reviews from critics, who have called it the best ?Apple TV?+ show yet. "Little America" has already been renewed for season 2.

Article Link: Tim Cook Shares Behind-the-Scenes Look at Apple TV+ Show 'Little America'

Reactions: 15ngcs1

rmoliv

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2017
Why insist on this subject matter so much is beyond me. There's already enough of it on the news every single day. After The Morning Show and Servant I feel like there's nothing else of interest left to watch on Apple TV+ which is a shame. I tried Truth Be Told but the writing is so lazy I couldn't get past episode 3. Apple better start dropping more shows per month. When is Amazing Stories coming???

iRutherford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
Why insist on this subject matter so much is beyond me. There's already enough of it on the news every single day. After The Morning Show and Servant I feel like there's nothing else of interest left to watch on Apple TV+ which is a shame. I tried Truth Be Told but the writing is so lazy I couldn't get past episode 3. Apple better start dropping more shows per month. When is Amazing Stories coming???
You're making a mistake dropping Truth Be Told that early. I powered through it and the payoff was worth it. Give it a shot. Twists start developing by episode 4 and 5.

On the other hand, Shantaram, Foundation and Amazing Stories might be up your alley.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Easily their best series so far with Morning Show. Anyone writing this off clearly thinks it’s too liberal minded and didn’t even spend 30 minutes watching an episode to appreciate the subtlety, ache, joy, and beauty of the way they managed to depict the immigrant experience without overtly politicizing it in anyway. These are gorgeous snapshots of struggle, victories, heartbreak, and the small things of life. Beautiful short stories brought to life.

unsui_grep

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2019
Little America is an incredible achievement. What a fantastic show. Beautiful, poignant storytelling. Should be the gold standard for all Apple shows going forward. So far the lineup of shows have been uneven but I'm really impressed by their risk taking and commitment to each creators vision. I really didn't expect that from Apple, but maybe I should've, after all I'm really not missing my super drive or headphone jack.

rmoliv

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2017
You're making a mistake dropping Truth Be Told that early. I powered through it and the payoff was worth it. Give it a shot. Twists start developing by episode 4 and 5.

On the other hand, Shantaram, Foundation and Amazing Stories might be up your alley.
I’m ok with the pacing. It’s the writing that is terrible. Poor character development, characters make poor and unlikely decisions, too many deus ex machina. I like the storyline but it’s poorly executed. Could’ve been written by a 10-year old.

mpetrides

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007

Insofar as I can tolerate any television series, most of which seem like two hours worth of movie stretched out to 8 or 10 hours, I enjoyed Truth Be Told. Maybe that's because I really like Octavia Spenser. Or maybe it's because it was in the mystery genre. In any event, I hope it returns for a second season.

Kyle4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
Insofar as I can tolerate any television series, most of which seem like two hours worth of movie stretched out to 8 or 10 hours, I enjoyed Truth Be Told. Maybe that's because I really like Octavia Spenser. Or maybe it's because it was in the mystery genre. In any event, I hope it returns for a second season.
From my understanding it’s a limited series with only the 8 episodes (based off the book) so there won’t be anything else.

Ar40

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2017
During every one of the first three episodes I cried at various points. That doesn't happen to me. I'm a guy, and not usually this sensitive.

That should be enough to speak for the power this show has. A must watch.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA

Nope... still lazy writing I mean come on. I will try the others you mentioned as well, but so far Apple Tv+ not that compelling.

V_Man

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2019
During every one of the first three episodes I cried at various points. That doesn't happen to me. I'm a guy, and not usually this sensitive.

That should be enough to speak for the power this show has. A must watch.
Over a tv show. Really?

• Wow
Reactions: Ar40

V_Man

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2019
What’s art transcendent? I haven't cried since I was a child. I don't do emotions.

jonblatho

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
I’m ok with the pacing. It’s the writing that is terrible. Poor character development, characters make poor and unlikely decisions, too many deus ex machina. I like the storyline but it’s poorly executed. Could’ve been written by a 10-year old.
Not that it’s on-topic, but I also think framing it through a true-crime podcast was just completely unnecessary and makes it smell like Apple wanted more product placement, with Poppy wearing Beats headphones to record a podcast episode on her Mac…people listening on Apple Podcasts…

As for Little America, I caught the first episode last night. Good stuff. Wish I could say that I’m surprised to see that a certain group has brigaded the IMDb page with 1/10 ratings without explaining why.

Reactions: Ar40