Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Tim Cook is always trying to find ways to cut corners and give customers less while either not lowering prices or actually increasing prices. His latest scam is to use the previous generation iPhone CPUs in the latest non-Pro models.

That wasn’t always the case. Even all three generations of cheapest low-end budget model iPhone SE (2016, 2020, and 2022) received the exact same CPU that was in most expensive high-end iPhone model at the time.

The reason for this new scam is so Apple can save money on manufacturing and not pass those savings on to the customers, thus maximizing profits for Apple. Furthermore, it will likely cause customers who purchase non-Pro models to upgrade sooner since their phones will slow down sooner than those who purchased the Pro models, thus maximizing Apple’s profits even more.

Last edited:

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
We’ll if you don’t keep the customers happy you won’t end up with happy share holders ether

Think Apple has done this like since the 3, lots of times to get a worthwhile upgrade with a iPhone you skip a model and get the year after that

For me, I have a 13 pro, the 14 didn’t really seem like a upgrade outside of SOS (but I have a SPOT & EPIRB anyways), and I preferred the notch to the hole, the 15 seems like a rerun of the last few models with not much to offer, even has the more or less the same design as my 13, probably couldn’t tell the difference in real works usage or design from 5’ away

I’ll be waiting to see what the 16 has to offer I guess

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Tim Cook is always trying to find ways to cut corners and give customers less while either not lowering prices or actually increasing prices. His latest scam is to use the previous generation iPhone CPUs in the latest non-Pro models.

That wasn’t always the case. Even all three generations of cheapest low-end budget model iPhone SE (2016, 2020, and 2022) received the exact same CPU that was in most expensive high-end iPhone model at the time.

The reason for this new scam is so Apple can save money on manufacturing and not pass those savings on to the customers, thus maximizing profits for Apple. Furthermore, it will likely cause customers who purchase non-Pro models to upgrade sooner since their phones will slow down sooner than those who purchased the Pro models, thus maximizing Apple’s profits even more.
Now you've explained the 'scam'.

Is there some sort of response you are expecting?

Stop buying Apple products? Run out and protest at an Apple store? Call up Apple and complain? Email Tim and complain?

Post angry messages that agree with your position and validate you?

What is it you want from us?

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Now you've explained the 'scam'.

Is there some sort of response you are expecting?

Stop buying Apple products? Run out and protest at an Apple store? Call up Apple and complain? Email Time and complain?

Post angry messages that agree with your position and validate you?

What is it you want from us?

Lol

Isn’t that what he did

It’s good for people to voice these issues, maybe something will come of it, maybe not, but worlds better than being quiet and just taking it

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Or is it that there is (was) a global electronic component shortage, and the chip used in the regular iPhone 14 is still better than anything other than the one in the pro models… production was already setup, and R&D could be used for other areas.

However Apple ultimately is a company, maximising profits is what will keep them going, so you may see it as a scam but to most, it’s just business. No one was forced to upgrade, or to not just keep the device they had if they didn’t see the value in the new devices when launched.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
“Scam” 😂

It’s all fine and dandy to complain about the approach, but to call it a scam is a bit of a stretch.

Have you ever tried to spec a Mac computer? Ever look at how much they charge for upgrades?

This is signature Apple since before Tim Cook’s time. He just carry’s on the tradition.

Also; if they didn’t have silicon ready that was worth putting into the new phones, people were probably better off sticking with the previous SoC. Remember that the iPhone 14 was developed and launched during and near the end of a global pandemic where chip shortages were a big problem and still impact supply and demand to this day.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
A "scam" implies one is being taken advantage of. There is no scam here. Anyone that buys a 14 over a 14 Pro has all the tools at their disposal to make a reasonable and informed decision. If they fail to do so, that's their fault. This is not a scam.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
A "scam" implies one is being taken advantage of. There is no scam here. Anyone that buys a 14 over a 14 Pro has all the tools at their disposal to make a reasonable and informed decision. If they fail to do so, that's their fault. This is not a scam.

Uhhh, not really

When it’s set to not give you a choice it might not be a full on scam like getting grandma to give some guy in india prepaid amazon cards, buts it’s till a dishonest way to get people give you their money

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Uhhh, not really

When it’s set to not give you a choice it might not be a full on scam like getting grandma to give some guy in india prepaid amazon cards, buts it’s till a dishonest way to get people give you their money
You don't have to give them your money. Plenty of options out there, including Apple devices from other places. It's not a scam if a business doesn't offer anything you want to buy.

Even if what you want is never offered you still have a choice. They are not forcing you.

I updated from an iPhone 5 in 2015 to a 6+ and then to a 6s+. I intentionally held out because I hated the camera bump. I still do. But certain other things I wanted/needed convinced me to buy.

That was my choice to make though.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
You don't have to give them your money. Plenty of options out there, including Apple devices from other places. It's not a scam if a business doesn't offer anything you want to buy.

Even if what you want is never offered you still have a choice. They are not forcing you.

I updated from an iPhone 5 in 2015 to a 6+ and then to a 6s+. I intentionally held out because I hated the camera bump. I still do. But certain other things I wanted/needed convinced me to buy.

That was my choice to make though.

The old people also don’t have to give the scammers Amazon cards

There is a reason they have the whole Apple “eco system” and it’s more for profit than user benefit

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89 and Lcgiv

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Sounds to me like Cook is just doing his job very well.

If you don’t like their business tactics, you are of course free to vote with your wallet and buy something else.

Based on their path recently, that very well might happen

Between their 1999 era $3000.00 VR googles and re churning the same iPhone over and over, they might have peaked a few years ago

I like the apple products, especially the older ones, the ultra watch was nice, hopefully apple will straighten up and fly right

thmsnt

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2023

Between their 1999 era $3000.00 VR googles and re churning the same iPhone over and over, they might have peaked a few years ago

I like the apple products, especially the older ones, the ultra watch was nice, hopefully apple will straighten up and fly right
Other than foldables, I’m not sure what else they could do to make the phone more interesting. I like what Samsung is doing with their phones, but I’m too entrenched in the Apple ecosystem to switch now.

Reactions: NC12

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

Your post is pure nonsense. Just do not buy what you do not like. How a vendor chooses/configures chips/phones is up to the vendor, not some kind of scam just because you fail to understand product lines and their components.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

Apple products are flying just fine, thank you (well except perhaps for the Mac Pro...). Personally I hope Apple keeps making great products, especially the iPhone Pros, evolving just like they have been.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Uhhh, not really

No, it is not a dishonest way to get people give you their money. Nothing is hidden, just do not buy what you do not like.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

It's hardly a scam if they tell you they're doing it.

Is it worse than getting the latest and greatest? Sure. But that doesn't make it a scam, it just makes it a less appealing product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.