Timbuk2 Custom Messenger Sizing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wibble1, Jul 25, 2010.

1. wibble1 macrumors newbie

Apologies if this is a repeat thread, but did a forum search and couldn't find my answer.

I'm going to be ordering a medium custom timbuk2 messenger but slightly confused on t he measurements.

Hoping someone here has experience and can clarify.

The bag is going to be dual purpose, to carry either my 13" MBP (with SecondSkin) or my DELL 14" work laptop.

The 'true' width/dimensions fit within the Timbuk2 guidelines by about 1CM on both. I emailed Timbuk2 and they said it would be too tight for a medium, but having read all the posts about M fitting a 15" laptop I'm some what confused.

So my question is,

Will the Medium Size fit a 13" MBP with a sleeve
    Will the medium size fit a 14" /without sleeve..

Also, when configuring the bag, do I really need the 'loveglove' or will I be okay with a slash pocket?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

medium will fit 13" and 14"
    loveglove/slash pocket is just preference, not really necessary

3. KarmaRocket macrumors member

KarmaRocket

I recently purchased a custom timbuk2 laptop messenger.

Be careful with Timbuk2's sizes

I bought the medium since the website listed dimensions that could fit a 17' MBP. I have the recent i7 17" MBP.

To my dismay, the sleeve won't fit the 17" MBP. Even though the dimensions said it would fit in their laptop size chart

I would call customer support and try to get exact dimensions, just in case

The bag works out fine for me. I just use my incase neoprene case for the 17" MBP and place it in front of the inside sleeve. I'll just use the inside sleeve for an ipad/kindle or to protect folders/papers.

4. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

I have a Timbuk2 Blogger 2.0 (non custom) in medium and it fits the 15" MBP perfectly. I'm pretty sure the sizes should be the same. This is without a sleeve btw.

5. wibble1 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should be okay with a Medium by the sounds of it.

I'm just trying to weigh up pro/cons for a laptop padded sleeve or just an internal divider......

I guess my MBP would fit in without an issue and if my 14" DELL wouldn't I could just put it in the main compartment?:confused:

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I just bought a medium and it fits my 15" with room to spare, so it may be too big for your laptops. You dont want them sliding around.

The Timbuk2 sizes are easy when comparing to apple laptops, which is what they seem to cater to.

Small: 13"
    Medium: 15"
    Large: 17"

I returned mine because I thought the bag was just too damn big. You'll be pissed throwing a 13" in there and hauling all that extra bag around.

7. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I have a 15inPB and 15.4in MBP and they both fit nicely in my Timbuk2 Messenger Bag and Blogger. I use the Tucano Second Skin with both. In the Blogger its a tight fit with the 2nd Skin. I have the 1st gen Blogger. But it's a snug fit so I don't mind.

If you are getting the 13in Tucano Second Skin and Timbuk2 bag, it should fit well with the Medium bag. You will have enough room to slide your hand in and pull it out. I can fit like two fingers in and pull the MBP w/sleeve out. Without the sleeve, I have room to fit a notebook/1-2 magazines. The Tucano sleeve doesn't slide around even when I put in the front compartment.

Make sure your laptop compartment has some type of lining. My Blogger has a corduroy type lining.