Timbuk2 Messenger bags

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by guitargoddsjm, Sep 18, 2009.

1. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

So I'm a college student in Atlanta and I bike to my classes. For the past few days it's been raining pretty hard, and water seems to seep into my North Face backpack. Even when it's dry out, but hot, the back panel of my backpack makes my back very sweaty. (An alternative reason, backpacks don't look good with suits.)

Anyways, I've been looking around and I think I'm settling on getting a medium Timbuk2 messenger. A few sites have certain colors & models on sale, and I've narrowed my search down to the Classic Covert (essentially a Classic bag with reflective panels) and the Commute 2.0

Classic Covert (http://bit.ly/iFbpV)
    • Orig. $150, on sale for less than $50 shipped
    • Reflective matrix panels are great for night time biking and walking around the city
    • Available in black, a nice, basic color that will go with anything (including nicer clothes)
    • Essentially has one all-consuming, cavernous pocket; no laptop specific pocket.

Commute 2.0 (http://bit.ly/1GmwLG)
    • Orig. $100, on sale for about $70 shipped
    • Has a padded, separate, zippered laptop compartment in the back of the bag
    • Available in only Navy/Blue (not a terrible color) or black for $75
    • From pictures I've seen, it seems like it has more pockets/compartments for organization.

I don't have any experience with either of these bags, but I know that Timbuk2 is a very popular choice for messenger-style bags. Both feature a water proof interior with a waterproof flap and bottom. They both are supposedly durable and well made.

If any of you have either of these, it would be great if you could give me your opinions!

EDIT: One more thing, I have an Incase sleeve for my 13" Macbook, so it wouldn't be COMPLETELY unprotected in the Covert, but I like the idea of having a separate compartment and a few extra compartments... (but I also like the idea of reflective panels)

2. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I've had two timbuk2 bags, now just one, a class small, and the older generation Commute. I have since given it to my friend.

The commute was a great laptop bag, the laptop sleeve protected my laptop extremely well. The timbuk2 bags are extremely stylish and can look very professional. Especially the black-dark grey-light grey color scheme I have.

You will love the bags, I stopped using messenger bags to carry my laptop and heavy stuff because it takes a toll on my shoulders, traveling is much easier with a backpack. I have an Arcteryx urban backpack for laptop traveling needs now for travel in Asia and the US.

But if you are just going to school, you'll be fine. You'll love it!

3. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone else have a comparison between the two bags? I've heard the commute is great for holding a laptop, but the classic is more versatile...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Maybe if this were in the correct forum you'd get more answers.

5. guitargoddsjm thread starter macrumors 6502

Please enlighten me

6. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I have had 2 Timbuk2 bags, I still use the larger one on my bike but NEVER put my laptop in it due to the fear of getting into an accident and ruining my computer. Whatever size you think you will need go with the next size up, you will regret having a smaller bag when you find out how uncomfortable a stuffed to the gills bag is on your back.