Timbuk2 or Waterfield

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by SmittS, May 17, 2012.

1. SmittS macrumors regular

I'm debating between a Commmand Messenger 2012 edition or a Waterfield Cargo. I have a 14" laptop and my iPad that I carry daily, along with my other gear. Anybody have experience with both? The Waterfield cargo large is over double the price of the Timbuk2 large, even more if I wanted leather. Glen_e...I'm looking at you.

2. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I actually have both of these bags. The Waterfield bag is more substantial but both are really nice bags. If you travel a lot then the Timbuk2 would be a great choice. The pockets on the cargo bag are a little more useful than the front pockets under the flap of the Timbuck2.

3. glen e macrumors 68030

I also have both these bags. I like the command messenger more because it has more pockets and easier to get things in and out. The cargo is more substantial but overall as I travel the command messenger takes the ticket.

I've parked both of them now for a saddleback thin brief. A lot more money but a lot more bag....

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

+1 on both points. I also have both. Nice style on the Timbuk2, but the quality of the fabric and zippers on Waterfield is really good. Also, Timbuk2 (and Chrome, for that matter) sew all their accessory pockets flat, which really limits their use. Put something in one pocket and you can't use the one behind it.

5. SmittS thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the Timbuk2, but I'm still hesitant because the Waterfield is so nice. Per dollar, I think the Timbuk2 is a better value. Plus if I buy the Cargo I'm sure I'll splurge for the Mambo Cambo so I'm looking at 300 bucks!

6. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

The 2012 Command is not a bad choice but the Cargo will hold up better over time. If you aren't the type that is always buying a new bag then the cost per year is probably going to be about the same.

7. glen e macrumors 68030

Not true on the command three front pockets with zippers...Honestly, I love both these companies.....and why I own both....

8. SmittS thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting point. I don't go through bags very quickly. I had the same bag through HS, college, and 3 years into work before I finally went and bought a new Swiss Gear backpack! The Swiss Gear bag is decent, but I'd like something a little nicer with some added functionality.

9. w00tini macrumors 6502a