Resolved Time Always On

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by worker73, Feb 13, 2017.

1. worker73 macrumors member

Was wondering if a "time always on" feature is something I could hope for in an update to the Apple Watch 2 or is is that only going to be possible in future releases of the watch ?

Thanks for the help! :)

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

You can "hope" for anything you want. We're not going to stop you.

3. worker73 thread starter macrumors member

Haha. I guess a better question would have been is it even possible thru an update to series 2.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

5. worker73 thread starter macrumors member

Okay. Well that's good to know. I wasn't sure if that was going to be something that required more of an overhaul.

6. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

I would guess NO because battery size (small)...and the need for it to have 18 hours of minimal battery life required by Apple. Maybe IF you disable GPS...but then this would be an across the board kind of update, which will surely piss off folks who NEED GPS.

7. worker73 thread starter macrumors member

Oh all right. I didn't know if the ability was already there.

8. pcall1128 macrumors 6502a

pcall1128

I've been thinking about this too. every night I go to bed with 45 to 55% battery left, wonder if it would be possible sooner then later. It would be awesome if Apple could figure out how to make it work, but Im not getting my hopes up.

9. Ixidor macrumors regular

I think it's possible for the S2 due to its slightly larger battery. Apple might be able to curb some battery issues through software such as limiting the always on display to certain watch faces that consume less battery and dimming the display.

Considering that Apple took a very conservative approach to the original WatchOS compared to WatchOS 2/3, i think Apple is somewhat conservative with the S2 battery life generally speaking.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Apple introduced an Always-on display for the S2 in the next major update. I too am able to go to bed with about 50% battery life on my S2, so an Always-on display may barely make it through a work day assuming GPS isn't used.

Apple will just need to remind users that the 18 hour battery life excludes the use of an Always-on display. They already do that with GPS (rated at 5 hours iirc)

The main issue I can foresee is the vast number of people who will complain about the battery life if Apple did implement it on S2... coz people generally find lots of things to complain about if its Apple. So I think Apple is more likely to implement this in future versions of the AW once they've figured out how to squeeze in more battery power in such a small package.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I can not see having this feature with Current screen tech being used.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's now possible but the feature wouldn't work with any current Apple Watch.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Interesting but that thing is HUGE! The battery must have a much greater capacity than the AW.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It doesn't matter what size the battery is if the feature doesn't have a big negative effect on battery life.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Size of the device does matter to me. Not willing to go bigger for an always on screen.

15. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The battery in the Gear S3 is only slightly bigger than the 42mm Series 2, it's new technology Samsung have developed which allows the always on screen.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The hardware is impressive for sure . . . .kinda shows up the Apple Watch in my opinion.

If I were an Android user . . . .;)

17. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

Display may be nice, but still circular in a data-centric device with minimal app support and unproven fitness device (HR sensor is much worst than Apple's).