Time Capsule 1st backup ??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by P.Roy, May 18, 2008.

1. P.Roy macrumors newbie

I bought a 500G TC and did the first backup and now i'm confused about the space left on it. my mbp only used about 60.5 Gigs of stuff and my TC available space is down to 197.8 Gigs, how could this be?? where did my 200+ gigs of space went? i've been tryin to figure it out but cant find anything on the site about it. any help is greatly appreciated.

Thx,
    Roy

Attached Files:

2. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Time Machine makes frequent incremental backups. If you have a VMware partition for Windows on your MB Pro, the entire partition gets backed up during every incremental backup, even if you only changed a few bytes worth of files in Windows since the previous backup.

Until I excluded my Fusion partition from backups, an extra 6.1 gig got backed up every time I modified my Quicken 2008 for Windows data file, which contains less than 7 meg. This meant that my incremental backups were multi-gigabyte files, although only a few meg worth of files had been changed since the previous backup. I suspect that this may be your trouble.

3. P.Roy thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the reply gwsat. as far as VMware goes, no i dont have it. i thought that TC only backs up things that changed from last back up? so it back up an extra 200+ Gigs of stuff that my mbp didnt have?? i'm confused than ever now about TC. but again, thx for the reply...

Roy

4. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I believe that the peculiarity I described is limited to virtual partitions created for Windows in Fusion or Parallels. Time Machine doesn’t backup stuff in Boot Camp partitions at all. Here’s a link to an earlier thread that talks about the issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=391445

Insofar as I know, Time Machine backs up all files saved in OS X proper on a file by file basis.