Time Capsule 1tb price in education store plus advice on storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mowgli21, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Mowgli21 macrumors regular

Hi

Any advice on the best place to buy large external HDD's like 1tb-2tb? And whats best portable hdd, desktop hdd or NAS storage? Whats the benefits of NAS?

I am looking to store all my itunes content on it which will ultimately be streamed through my imac to apple tv.

Also don't suppose anyone could tell me the price of a 1tb time capsule in the education store for university students?

Thanks

2. ixoye25 macrumors newbie

Just something to consider...

May do some research on the following new product.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/lacie-wireless-space-takes-on-time-capsule-doubles-as-nas-and-w/

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

4. garycurtis macrumors 6502

The founder of a MUG group in the San Fernando valley suggested I go to Amazon.com and buy the LaCie external drive. It is the 1Tb Quad Drive.
    Other drives are more portable, and this one isn't powered by the USB, but I don't lug it around so those factors aren't important.

Price was $114. The quad is important he said, because USB will be a thing of the past soon. And Firewire 400 will die soon as well.

Install was real simple, and my Time Machine recognized it immediately.

Gary Curtis

5. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Along the same lines ...
    What are the benefits or pros/cons of airport extreme with external hd vs a time capsule ?

I prefer the quad interface. Fw800 is faster, but USB is ok and not going anywhere. So if it's always attached & you don't need the speed, USB is fine.

6. garycurtis macrumors 6502

On my LaCie 1TB, using 400 Firewire, the backup process for about 6 Gb of data takes about 4 minutes. It would be 25% longer with USB 2.0.

I can't imagine Airport transmitting data anywhere near that speed.