Time Capsule 1TB problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bill Gates cat, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Bill Gates cat macrumors newbie

Hi Guys.

I've been a frequent reader and owner of a lot of things Apple. I still have a G3 in the loft...

Anyway, my TC is playing up, telling me there is not enough space left for back ups. So, after popping into my local store looking for advice, I reset it. Completely. Now it's telling me there still isn't enough space. Should I just use this one now for my MBP, and get a new 2TB for the iMac upstairs? Sorry if this is a little trivial, but it's driving me mad.

Regards

Dean

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Try using disk utility to see if the he'd data can be recovered ; how much out of 1tb is left?

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Our first question: is there actually any space left?

4. Bill Gates cat thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically, this is what I'm being told.

This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 1.03 TB but only 997.17GB are available. Time for a new TC, I think. By the way, how do I run a disk utility on the TC?

Everything was running fine until a couple of days ago and then they started to go pear shaped.

Regards

Dean

OK, I've found some support items on the Apple site. Let's see where this takes us...

Everything looks good. All disks are fine. I just need more storage.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

You can't mount the Time Capsule's hard disk in Disk Utility.

It seems that the current backup it is trying to perform has a significant change from the last time you backed up. While it's true that the TC will delete the oldest backups when it starts running out of space, if the size of the backup that it is trying to perform is larger than the capacity of the Time Capsule, it will fail. How large is your hard drive and how much of it is used up?

A general rule of thumb with Time Capsule (or any backup drive) is to have twice as much backup space as you have on your machine being backed up.

Also, if you are running any virtualization programs that use a disk image as a hard drive, you will need to exclude the image from the list of items being backed up. Any slight change to the image file will require Time Capsule to back up the entire image file again.