Time Capsule 1TB steals 180mb of space?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chemistslime, Jun 27, 2008.

1. chemistslime macrumors member

I know that 1TB once formatted on the time capsule gave me 929.5 GB of storage. However, the actual space for backup says it's only 929.3 left, in specific, with 0 users, it takes up 180mb of storage. Can any other time capsule 1TB user verify this? I erased the whole disk using the "erase" function within airport utility and it still occupies 180mb. Do I have a corrupt disk or is everyone's like that? For 500gb TC users, does it also take up 180mb? Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It has to load that software somewhere!

And I think Time Capsule is a POS; it's slow and crappy in general; I changed mine to an Extreme with a external drive; works much better.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ so that definately works? did you use a hack or 10.5.3 now supports it natively?

do you think a third party wireless router (+ modem) with a USB port will allow wireless storage? or is it only for a printer like the Airport Express?

4. asme macrumors regular

5. pkiula macrumors member

Which wireless device should I use?

Hi,

I have bought an iMac 24 inch and a Macbook Pro 17 inch for myself and my spouse respectively. We have been using office Windows laptops thus far at home too, sharing out internet connection through the usual linksys, which is about 4 years old.

Now I would like to upgrade my wireless, and I recognized that Apple has its own wireless routers so I dont need to get dlink or linksys. But I am confused about which one I should go for.

Here is what I need to do:

1. Play my itunes wirelessly from my room to my living room's home theatre system. Airport website suggests this is possible. I would like to set up the itunes on both my macs to be able to beam music to my living room, separately. (No need to share the itunes library and all that complex jazz.)

2. Do what the old linksys did-- take the internet broadband connection and make it wireless for access through 6 devices, including 2 mobile smartphones, 2 windows laptops, and 2 macs.

3. Print to one central Canon MP800 printer from all the 4 machines, 2 windows and 2 macs.

4. Of course, it may be great if a wireless machine did the above and also became a backup mechanism (time capsule). But this is not a must, only a nice to have.

Is my current understanding correct:

- If I want 1 to 3, then Airport Extreme should do the job.
    - If I want 1 to 4, then Time Capsule will do it.

I am doubtful if I understand Time Capsule correctly. Would it serve as a backup AND a wireless device that does 1 to 3? Then it may be worth the money.

Thanks!

6. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Airport Extreme and Time Capsule do not stream audio to stereos (both lack the necessary audio connections). For that, you need an Airport Express, which is a separate product.

Airport Extreme can do 2 and 3. It also unofficially does 4 if you plug in an external hard drive. Problem is it isn't designed for that and Apple doesn't support it, so any problems you have to resolve yourself.

Time Capsule does 2, 3, and 4 all together on the same device.