Time Capsule 2010 vs. Current Generation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by codeman7, Nov 18, 2013.

1. codeman7, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

codeman7 macrumors member

Hello! I have a 1TB Time Capsule from 2010 (802.11n) that's worked great for me. I got a new MacBook Pro retina with 802.11ac, and I'm wondering if the newest 2TB Time Capsule with 802.11ac would be a lot faster to back up via Time Machine and to store files?

I've also heard reports that these new models have an audible fan. I don't hear any noise from my current Time Capsule, but is the new one significantly louder?

Thanks!

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

I dont really hear mine - just the odd bit of noise when the HDD is in use, which is to be expected.

I also moved from n to ac - to be honest I didnt notice a huge difference. Then again I wasnt using TM back then so cant compare them, but with generally moving data around on the network it is a little faster but nothing to get excited over IMO.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Still using a first generation 3TB here...It's backing up 3 Mac's and provides wifi access throughout the house...Never had any issues with it, and it has no audible fan.

I guess the new ones have the advantage of the newer wifi standards, but I'm not planning on buying a new one just for that.