Time Capsule (2011) | Cannot Decode Raw Data

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iKennett, Jun 28, 2011.

1. iKennett macrumors 6502

Hi All,

Since installing my new 2011 Time Capsule I've come across the same problem with sites such as Facebook and eBay. During the day I get an intermittent error on Safari and Firefox:

I have never had these issues before and they happen on all devices connected to my Time Capsule. Logic tells me that my current network set-up has broken something where.

My Set Up is:

Phone Line > BT HOME HUB (DSL Modem & Router)> Ethernet Power LAN

Ethernet Power LAN > Time Capsule > Wireless

Time Capsule is in 'Bridge Mode'.

Anyone seen this before? I find it difficult to understand why it is only certain websites and while Facebook/eBay isn't working everything else works fine.

Anyone seen this before?

My instinct tells me something is broken between my BT Home Hub and Time Capsule? Any benefits to using DHCP on Time Capsule; would it limit performance - assume the bridge mode is causing a conflict.

2. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Try setting a custom MTU size in Airport Utility. I'm at work and can't give you the exact tab it's in. The basic problem is that the default TCP maximum packet size is 1500 on most networks, but the way DSL works it has to 'steal' a few bytes for another wrapper.

3. iKennett thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers - don't seem able to find the MTU settings in Airport Utility. I've just had a move around so the Time Capsule isn't connecting via powerlans... at-least I can rule them out if it happens again.

I'll adjust the MTU settings (any suggestions) in a couple of days... fingers crossed it is something as simple as powerlans.

4. Stevie47 macrumors newbie

"Cannot decode raw data" --no access with Apples, but things are okay with PCs

Hi All,

I don't know if it helps or not, but I only get the "Cannot decode raw data" error message when I am using Apple hardware on my network (2 laptops, an iPad, 4 iPhones), but not when we are using one of the pcs (desktop, 2 laptops.) So, we have a problem when using Safari, but access is okay with Internet Explorer.

If anybody has any ideas as to how to resolve this problem, it would sure be nice to get back online with our Apples!

Thanks,
    Stevie