Time Capsule 2gb extend wireless range

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maxou17, Jul 19, 2011.

1. maxou17 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

first a big thanks to macrumors users!

I have a Macbook 2009 aluminium with OS 10.5.8.

I just purchased a Time Capsule 2gb that I would like to use as a backup hd and also as a wireless repeater.

I use a Zyxel wireless router and I would like to connect the TC to it.

for the last days, I've been trying to set up the TC with no luck:

I open Airport Utility (latest version) it finds the TC, then when I click Continue, it asks to switch network I click yes and then it says it cannot find any airport device...

Any advice?

thanks a lot in advance.

max

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Apple routers do not "extend" with all manufacturers, so maybe Zyxel is one of the ones that do not work.

3. maxou17 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply, but then how do I use TC as a backup hd with Time Machine, I can't find the way to install TC.

thx!

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you want to use your Time Machine for all its functions (router, wireless backup, etc), you either make it your main router replacing the Zyxel -or- if you need to keep the Zyxel because of your ISP, run the Time Machine in bridge mode (Google it).

5. maxou17, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

maxou17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, but I still cannot find the way the install TC.

I googled and look into forums all week and it seems that the installation doesn't work for me the same way than for other users!

Basically I have 2 configuration possibilities:

-either I use the Time capsule as a main base station, it will then replace my Zyxel modem and will use my Airport express to extend the wireless range (can I do that?)

-either I use the Time Capsule as a wireless hard drive linked to my Zyxel modem and the Airport express will then become useless as I don't think it can extend the wireless range from my zyxel modem, is it correct?

anyway in both case, I can't find the way to install the TC. all the videos I found on Youtube or other forums are different from what I experienced during the installation.

Airport Utility finds the Time Capsule but then if I click manual or continue, it asks me to switch the wireless network, if I click "ok" it then search and always ends with "Base station error" "unable to find any airport device"

so how should I proceed, did anyone experienced that before?

I tried to plug an ethernet cable from my macbook to the TC (btw I don't know which plug to use behind the TC so i tried both) , the TC is connected via a cable to my modem zyxel but nothing is working...

also reset and hard reset the TC several times and nothing changed...

any help please! thanks a lot

6. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Make sure the ethernet cable from the Modem is plugged into the WAN PORT of the TC. It's possible ,from reading your post, that it is just plugged into a LAN port.
    when doing the setup, take the Zyxell router completely out of the configuration.

[​IMG]