Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faustlaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
New Orleans
Just got one and now Wifi seems VERY sluggish. Have a Motorola 5120 modem. Do I need a faster modem to keep up? Any other suggestions?

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Does your modem have wifi also ? If it does disable it, btw disconnect the power cord on the TC and re-connect and see if things are faster.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I had that problem when i got my first TV, i had a modem and a wifi router and i had to play a little bit to get work good but in the end i removed the linksys router.

Rarely i get that issue now but i know i just unplug and plug back and speed go back to normal; might aswell check if you have intruders in your network.

Hope it helps.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
What's sluggish? The 'net? Local?

I just bought one Saturday (open box) and it worked like a champ.

Open up Terninal and do ping tests to another computer, your TC, your modem (if you can) and say.. google.com or something.

faustlaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
New Orleans
I had that problem when i got my first TV, i had a modem and a wifi router and i had to play a little bit to get work good but in the end i removed the linksys router.

Rarely i get that issue now but i know i just unplug and plug back and speed go back to normal; might aswell check if you have intruders in your network.

Hope it helps.

It appears to have helped.
How check for intruders on network??

----------

What's sluggish? The 'net? Local?

I just bought one Saturday (open box) and it worked like a champ.

Open up Terninal and do ping tests to another computer, your TC, your modem (if you can) and say.. google.com or something.

The wifi was sluggish. Wired is great.
I unplugged it and plugged in again and it seems to have sped up? What's that about?

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES. This is great!

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
On the airport utility app you can check under the wireless clients tab it will list connected devices, cant help atm because im not at home and i dont remember the whole layout of the app to be more specific.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
What system do you have? Is it just your computer? Do you have another one you can test with?

I installed "Net Master" (5.99 on the App Store) and I use that to verify there are no rouge systems on my network. That's how I tell if anyone has accessed my network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.