Time Capsule - 3TB/4TB soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skate71290, May 16, 2011.

1. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, i was just wondering, with the increase in HDD sizes to 4TB, these have been around for quite a while will we be seeing a 3TB or 4TB time capsule soon (within the next few months?) i know nobody except the almighty master Steve Jobs knows the exact date, but some sort of guesstimate would be cool, maybe end of this year or something? also has anyone used Drobo (i know it's incredibly expensive) are they reliable and good for expansion of storage?

2. mwhq macrumors member

Not sure a 3-4TB TC would make sense unless it was in some sort of RAID config. 1-2 TB options are fine for storage but if they were to release anything I hope it would be a less amateur model and gear more towards a NAS model to compete against QNAP, Drobo, WD etc. etc.

3. skate71290 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked at Drobo and i also have another question, the Drobo with the Gigabit Ethernet, can it be plugged into my mac (signature) via ethernet and come up like a standalone HDD (similar to what would happen if i plugged my Time Capsule into my mac)?

4TB would be awesome, but i can see your point, as Stevie sees it as a backup device, and Apple don't offer anything above 2TB for internal HDDs on macs, i guess i'll just have to scrape up some cash for these awesome looking Drobos :)

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I believe so. I think the protocol is called iSCSI. Here is a link to Drobo's page about it. I know my Synology has a control panel option for this, but I haven't ever tried it.

Edit: I used to have a FW800 Drobo 2nd Gen. It's speeds were terrible. Writing fluctuated from 5Mbps to 15MBps and reading maxed out at 25Mbps. I'd take a serious look at a Synology NAS. They have 1,2,4+-bay options so you can scale to your needs. I wrote a review about the DS411J 4-bay software/setup but the 1 and 2 bay use the same firmware as the 4-bay. Here is the link. It's speeds are terrific.

5. MattDSLR macrumors 6502

I avg about 30MB/s on data transfer
    Perfect for safe backup
    I use main drive to work on my photos and than transfer all the work to Drobo for dafe keeping, it works well for my specially knowing that I have 8+TB available for my use with triple back up
    I can loose 2 drives and not worry about it

Makes me happy :)

6. MattDSLR macrumors 6502

Just did a multithread (10 threads) export and getting speeds up to 76.4MB/s

and than drops to about 54MB/s

and that is on USB 2.0

will update when my 3.0 will come in

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Probably cached data. USB 2.0 can't transfer with such speeds. The theoretical limit is 60MB/s, real life tops at below 40MB/s, though.

8. mwhq macrumors member

It can, the FS is the only 5 bay with ethernet so if you were after a standalone drive go for the Drobo S and get a eSata 3/4 express card. The DroboFS is really just for sharing. Drobos have been known for their slow transfer rates but if it's running as a backup then it's not a major factor where as local attached is.

If your thinking of attached storage then I would recommend the G-Technology G-Safe. If it's transfer rates you want have a look into the G-
    Speed Q.

On the note of Apple updates, I would be surprised if they weren't looking into a more thorough media sharing system. Their current ranges are pretty messy and although they excel in consumer tech they do sometimes fall behind on topics like this.
    T

9. CHSeifert, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

3 and 4 TB HDD's are still to expensive for apple to use in their already overpriced TimeCapsule devices.

Look for an upgrade in 2012 - not before, I guess ;)

10. mwhq, May 18, 2011

mwhq macrumors member

I want your iMac ;)

11. CHSeifert, May 18, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Haven't received it just yet - just ordered it last week with the SSD option, so long wait still to come :(
    But quite pleased with my order - also bought the ACD 27 LED, the Airport express, Monster cables, TimeCapsule 2 TB, a WD STUDIO EDITION 2 TB Ext HDD and 3 years Apple Care. Only ordered it with 8 GB Ram, have 8 GB Crucial 1333 MHz 204 DIMM ready on my desk to upgrade it with, when I get it ;)