Time Capsule 3TB so overpriced, don't buy!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by orfeas0, Jun 21, 2011.

1. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

What the title says.
    Time Capsule 2TB costs 300$.
    Time Capsule 3TB costs 500$.

With 200$ you can buy 2 external hard disks 1TB each.
    Am I right that noone should buy the 3tb model or am I missing something?

2. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Do those external hard drives you mention come with.... dual frequency antennas as well?

Do they also come with guest networking?

hmmmm..... I don't think you really understand what Time Capsule offers..besides the prices haven't changed for the past 2 yrs and the capacities have got larger.

Check out Time Capsule

3. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Newbie? Learn to read before calling me that.
    I was comparing the 2 models of time capsule...
    If you buy the 2tb + 2 externals, you get 4tb with 500$.
    If you buy the 3tb, you get 3tb with 500$.
    And you can connect 1 or maybe 2 externals to the time machine so it's shared on the network too.

Newbie?

4. nizmoz macrumors 65816

5. Gaelic2, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011

Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I'd suggest you say,"I won't buy" and then don't. Speak for yourself.
    As for me, I have an older Time Capsule and it works beautifully. I couldn't say the same for two different Seagate HDs I had. The newer Time capsules are priced the same with much more capacity.

6. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I believe the 3TB version is overpriced, for sure. The 2TB... it may be a little high but not too bad considering it's more than just a hard drive.

I'm actually considering the 2TB to replace my external backup HD & router/wifi thingy. Consolidate and clean up my home network setup :)

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not to sound mean but these "Don't Buy" threads are plain ridiculous.

3TB drives are not exactly cheap at the moment in comparison to 2TB drives, and many people just want an all in one solution that works without having to fuss around, and the Time Capsule gives them this.

8. ess5 macrumors member

Just a note:
    I'm not knocking the Time Capsules...if people want them, they should buy them. That said 3tb drives have recently come down in price, to a point where it just seems a bit weird (to me) to pay $500 for one, even with the TC enhancements.

3tb Mybooks are at $150 now:
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...55RM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308714209&sr=8-1

I'm not saying the Mybook is the ultimate in drives, but being able to buy a 3tb USB 3.0 storage drive, a fully redundant 3tb mirror, and an extra 3tb drive for my cat's "Caturday pr0n" collection , all for the price of a single 3tb TC (w/ $50 left over...powered USB 3.0 hub?)...well, it just seems like a bit of an imbalance.

There's "Apple Tax" and then there's "Oh, this is what my ankles feel like..."

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

10. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Sorry for calling you a newbie (really) ... I just strongly disagree with 9to5 statements, and a site like that should know better then to make off the wall claims. They should know that when you buy Apple products your not only getting the great hardware, and ENGINEERING but also the eco-system, the seamless ease of use, the protection of mind knowing that if the said device fails, Apple will replace with know charge, iCloud integration capabilities

These things iListed can be found nowhere else but at :apple:.

I'm really shocked at 9to5 Mac to put out such a tasteless review or consideration to customers... they should know better..

And again my apologies about the "newbie" remark :) ... Me and you are pretty much the same level of post.. But I'm Higher in rank :p

11. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Why should they lie then? They are 100% correct as they are overpriced period. The HD inside of that box is just a Seagate, WD, Hitachi, Samsung or whatever brand they use. It is no different than the ones you order from Newegg. Either way, I have a Airport Extreme with two external WD HD's hooked up to it and no issues. Works great. And it cost me way less than that setup would.

12. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

It's upsetting to see everyone gloss over one important factor. Time Capsule uses enterprise grade hard drives. You can't compare these to your P.O.S. Seagate consumer drives. They offer cooler performance meaning they last longer. Check out the Western Digital RE4 as an example. These drives cost more because they're built to higher standards, enterprise standards.

My experience? I'm a network administrator.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Is the WD Caviar Green really an enterprise grade hard drive?

14. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

You sir are with all respect, extremely wrong. They aren't like your consumer drives.

It should also be added that LaCie's external consumer grade 2TB cost $499 for just the drive and enclosure.

People if you can't afford it then go out and buy consumer drives that have a shorter life span and are made cheaper.

15. maflynn, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is there a write up on what drives apple uses? I mean if I see an apple advertisement that states enterprise quality HDs, that's one thing but if they provide more details to the make/model of the drives then that goes a long way to convincing me.

Time Capsule has a reputation, at least early on for hard drive failure and so knowing for sure on what drives they use, or is the marketing team just doing what they always do - stretch the truth.

16. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

apology accepted :)
    I didn't read 9to5 mac or anything, I was just browsing apple's site and saw a difference of 200$ for 1tb... and started wondering!
    But the 2tb isn't that overpriced, I'm actually thinking of buying it when I get my mac. Automatic wireless backup, easy wireless access to 2tb of storage! Plus a good router (I hope it's better than the asus I have tbh).
    Does anyone know how well does time capsule perform as a router compared to other routers?

17. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Yes, WD RE4-GP. The green version is extremely important in the TC as it is an already hot little box. As mentioned heat severely cripples the life of a drive.

What good is a backup if it fails once a year?

18. OllyW, Jun 22, 2011

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I thought the WD10EADS was just a standard consumer grade green drive?

[​IMG]

http://www.hardmac.com/articles/311/page1

19. Littleodie914, Jun 22, 2011

Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

It is. :)

You bought into Apple's marketing a little too quickly. They DO NOT use enterprise-grade hard drives. You'll get either:

• 500GB Seagate ST3500630NS
    • 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000
    • A Western Digital Caviar Green or Samsung EcoGreen

They are not 'enterprise-grade', they simply meet or exceed the 1,000,000 MTBF rating. They're just well-performing consumer drives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_between_failures

EDIT: I should note that people don't really know what's in the new 2TB/3TB models, but in the past Apple has not always provided what many would consider 'enterprise-grade' drives in the Time Capsules.

Yes, they are that cheap:

2TB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003269%20600003300&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=20

3TB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003269%20600083978&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=20

Links are sorted by "Most Reviews" as I felt that was the best way to compare prices, but any way you slice it the 3TB drives are generally $70 more than the 2TB drives. Apple is charging you $200.

C'mon guys, do your research. :rolleyes:

20. wovel macrumors 68000

According to WD and everyone I found who sells WD, the RE4-GP does not come in 3TB. In fact, none of their Enteprise drives do....

21. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

But but... Apple lied to me? Sorry for the trolling but I agree. Apple is rediculous for thinking they can get away with this highway robbery!

22. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Yes it's pricey but it's not overprices

1TB drive usually it's about 100-150$ *3 = 400-450$

+

The Time Capsule is also a router with dualband simultinously (sp lol)

With 3 10/1001000 Lan ports

Which normal w/e you buy a Dlink or Linksys you get it for 150-200bucks for a duaband simul. Usually for a 120 you get a dual band that cannot do both at same time.

So 400$ for the 3 TB + 150-200 for The router

You get 4 products for abot 600$ + you might need câbles or a switch since more NAS are not WIFI you can add another 100$

Wow 700$ while the 3TB time does all that for 500$ and it'S only 1 product to configure.

Yup apple sucks /sarcasm

23. carlgo macrumors 68000

Geez, TCs are not just a hard drive stuck in a case. Remember that they are also a base station, are automatic and don't require a bunch of stuff connected to cables laying all over the place. Really a great solution.

Yes, Apple stuff costs more than warehouse deals on generic components. Doh.

TCs traditionally ran too hot. For the billionth time, it wasn't from the HD, it was the power supply and XXXX's decision that being quiet was more important than a good fan, form over function as Apple sometimes does it.

The capacitors generally melt down first. I believe actual HD failures are fairly rare.

24. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

I agree that 200$ for 2 to 3 TB is alot.

cheaper solutiion

Buy the 2TB and buy a external USB2TB for 100$ and put it in the USB drive and share it

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

Unless things have changed, TC internal and external storage are completely separate and when your internal TC drive fills up with your Time Machine backups, the TC doesn't have a way to use the space on the external storage to continue expanding your Time Machine backups.

So in that aspect, adding external storage isn't a solution at all.

Remember when the $499 model only had 1TB? lol