Time Capsule 4th Gen - End of Lifecycle?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LaFrentz, May 13, 2012.

1. LaFrentz macrumors member

LaFrentz

Hi there,
    I ordered a Time Capsule 2TB at the amazon.de (I am from Germany). I placed the order more than one week ago but did not hear anything about a proposed shipping date. They don't have it on stock but it was about 30€ cheaper than at the apple store. It seems like that the Time capsule is not really on stock at many retailers these days, so I started to wonder if it is end of life cycle already. The 4th Gen version is about 1 year now available and as far as I recall this was usually the time when a new version had been introduced.
    I am going to use the Time capsule to store my iTunes library on it. I tried a WD My book live a few weeks ago but this did not work well. It took me 3 (!) days to transfer the library to the WD directly connected via LAN... and I only have approx. 100GB. Wondering if it will be better working with the Time Capsule. Unfortunately my ADSL router is only 10MBit... Do I expect too much? Maybe the 5th Gen Time Capsule would bring some more features regarding iTunes storage and NAS... Any recommendation to wait? Too bad there is no information on the Buyer's Guide for the Time Capsule.

Regards
    LaFrentz

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Time Capsule is not on a regular update cycle, hence it is not in the Buyer's Guide. There's no reason to wait for a new one, as there's no telling when that will be.

3. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Can't see them releasing a new one until 802.11ac devices start coming out later this year. Would be a waste of time releasing another 802.11n device now that 802.11ac chipsets are starting to materialise.

4. TurretOperetta macrumors newbie

If you're going to be connecting the time capsule the same way you did the WD My book live, you're going to get the same transfer rate problems. 10Mbit equates to 1.25 megabytes, which explains why 100Gb would take 3 days. Your router is the bottleneck so that should be upgraded if you want better speeds.

5. LaFrentz thread starter macrumors member

LaFrentz

oh, ok... I had the impression that the way the WD My Book Live had been formatted caused the issues. For each audio file a .appledouble file was generated. Is this usual? What information is stored in such a file?

6. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Best advice: get a cheap gigabit switch, plug that into your router, then plug everything else (computer, the my book, etc) into the gigabit switch. That way, everything on your local network will be fast, bc the switch will handle communications without involving the (very slow) router u have.

7. LaFrentz thread starter macrumors member

LaFrentz

Thanks. Your advice is much appreciated. I will give this a try. Should I use the WLAN of the TC and not the router as well?