Time Capsule 4th Gen extremely slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xdunlapx, Dec 31, 2014.

1. xdunlapx macrumors newbie

Is it common for the TC to be so very slow? I am getting ready to sell the TC and my MBP due to bills that need paid and had manually moved all non-Time Machine manual file backups to another drive but it took days to do it as I was only getting approx, 1-2 MB/s transefer speed. The USB drive I plugged into the TC is a USB 3.0 Buffalo brand drive that is quite fast when plugged into my MBP but the TC itself is awfully slow. I did hook up my MBP to the TC via ethernet in the hopes it would be faster but no, it wasn't.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Why not simply archive the Time Capsule to the USB drive? Those speeds are quite slow for a USB drive.

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

4. xdunlapx thread starter macrumors newbie

I will not have access to a Mac. I am selling mine on a popular auction site to pay bills. So I needed to manually move all files so that a PC running Linux or Windows could access them.

It's not the Buffalo drive that is slow but the TC making it slow because it itself is crawling.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can archive the disk in AirPort Utility which clones the data on the Time Capsule to the USB hard drive. It does not require a Mac. There is some information on the archive function here.