Time Capsule 4th gen overheating? Initial backup

Stitch33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
My time capsule (4th generation, 2 TB), recently bought today, is currently doing its initial backup. When I first started the back up, the indicator light was green, but only about 1 hour in did it start flashing amber (or yellow, which it looks to me). I checked in Airport Utility, and it said:

"Problem 1 of 1: The device may be overheating"

What should I do? Is the time capsule defective? I put the device on this slanted platform with holes for ventilation, but to no avail.

mmatyas

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
poor thermal design

The first thing I do when I get any vintage of time capsule (I have four) is peel off the rubber mat on the bottom and replace it with four small rubber stick-on feet. This exposes the perforated aluminum plate on the bottom and they seem to run much cooler. I originally did this after my 1st Gen TC failed when it was 18 months old. The problem with it was the power supply failed due to heat. Apple replaced the unit (I kept the disk drive) and even through they used low power disk drives in newer generations, they still tend to overheat.

Comment

RealSkyDiver

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
The first thing I do when I get any vintage of time capsule (I have four) is peel off the rubber mat on the bottom and replace it with four small rubber stick-on feet. This exposes the perforated aluminum plate on the bottom and they seem to run much cooler. I originally did this after my 1st Gen TC failed when it was 18 months old. The problem with it was the power supply failed due to heat. Apple replaced the unit (I kept the disk drive) and even through they used low power disk drives in newer generations, they still tend to overheat.
Where did u get those rubber-feed?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.