Time Capsule, 802.11 g, and back-up only

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by c84216, Apr 20, 2008.

1. c84216 macrumors member

Quick question. I want to buy a Time Capsule so I have a wireless back-up solution in my dorm room for my Core Duo MacBook Pro. But the CD MBPs lack 802.11n spec. My question is if transfer speeds during back-up and Time Machine use are reasonable over 802.11 g or if I shouldn't even bother (I know the initial back-up would take next to forever).

That being said, we cannot have our college internet plugged into routers. My question regarding that is how easy is it to have Time Capsule work JUST for backing up and nothing more? I really don't want to take up my remaining USB port just for a hard drive I will continuously connect and disconnect.

Thanks much for your help!

2. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

It's pretty simple to have your time capsule serve as just a backup device. If you leave in connected over 802.11g, the initial backup will take a while, but other backups should be all right. Why not connect it ethernet during the initial backup?

3. brokoli macrumors member

cant you connect the ethernet from the wall into the TC and set thatTC as a bridge? why not? how can they prevent that?

if you cant use it as bridge then time capsule will have to join your campus network. But that's is not going to offer you great performance. I used TC on G for a month and it wasn't pleasant but only for backups it works. storing mp3s on it and accessing them via iTunes on G speeds isn't a good experience tho..