Time Capsule 802.11n only (5 GHz)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skorpien, Mar 13, 2008.

1. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hey all,

Currently running a TC 500GB 802.11n only (2.4 GHz) network with a Linksys router acting as a b/g gateway (also at 2.4 GHz). I don't want to slow down my wireless n devices, so this is the solution that I've come up with. Apart from hardwiring a couple of PCs and a PS3 to my two routers, I have an MBP 2.6 GHz and a Sony Vaio VGN-CR220 connecting to the TC (currently the only wireless n devices in the house). I've toyed with the 5 GHz option on TC and connected my MBP to it without a problem (connection speed at ~ 240 Mbit/s according to Network Utility) but my Vaio wouldn't even pick up the Network SSID on the 5 GHz frequency. So, I had to drop it back down to 2.4 GHz (which subsequently brought down my MBP to 130 Mbit/s) to get it to work. Aside from interference worries with using the same frequency (although I made sure to set different channels), is there any way to get my Vaio to work on the 5 GHz? I kinda liked the 240 Mbit/s I was given, whether it actually achieves this speed or not.

PS, the Vaio has an Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN adapter in it according to the specs on Sony's site.

2. skorpien thread starter macrumors 68020

Solved it. Had to enable 5 GHz in the Wireless Device Switch (the green LAN square in your taskbar) and it worked like a charm.