Time Capsule: A good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iLukeisamazing, Mar 13, 2008.

1. iLukeisamazing macrumors newbie

I am going to be purchasing a new Black book in July-ish, and I was also looking into getting a Time Capsule as I'll need a larger external and would like an upgrade over my current Linksys wireless router.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Considering you are getting both a $200 Wireless N system, and a $300 NAS, it is a wash, but it is great if you want to reduce clutter and save energy.

TEG

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Love mine. No worries about me having to plug my old Time Machine USB drive directly into my MBP now that it backs itself up hourly to the Time Capsule.

4. iLukeisamazing thread starter macrumors newbie

This is going to be a strange Q, but, you can disconnect your computer from it and the Time Machine/Capsule still works?

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

That's the whole point: wireless backup.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. It is an Airport Extreme (n) Base Station with a Hard Drive shared over both the wireless and wired networks.

TEG

7. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

Yeah it is indeed a good buy, but when the time comes for me I think I'll just get a regular APE (Airport Extreme N). The wireless backup idea is great, but I really don't have that much I want to backup... I mean I'd love to have all of my animé backed up, but my collection is about 140 GB right now...

8. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

Yes - I think it's a good buy considering it's 299.99 for 500GB & wireless N network.

9. himansk macrumors regular

Definitely, i replaced my old linksys to the new TC 500, even though i have no 802.11n capable devices *yet*. Now the backups just work without even having to have the wireless drives mounted on the desktop.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

i think it is a good buy, but I don't get it - does it have FW800 for wired backups? Or do you use gigabit ethernet to do that? Is it just as fast?

11. cb31 macrumors member

Can I dedicate say 250Gb to Time Machine backups, split between my imac and macbook, and 250Gb as general hard drive space? On this general area I would like it to be setup as samba shares so it is accessible from my imac, macbook, pc laptop and xbox.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not that i know of, unless u pulled the HD out of the airport n formatted it tht way

13. iLukeisamazing thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks guys, pretty sure my decision has been made. Thanks a TON!