Time Capsule a good choice for storing videos?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cydspal, Feb 11, 2008.

1. cydspal macrumors member

I am waiting on my new Mac Pro and need to start shopping external hard drives to store home movies on for video editing. I was looking at HD's with firewire for speed to dump movie clips in/out of the Mac. Is Time Capsule a good choice for this? What about the speed of wireless moving such big files?

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

A FW800 drive would be more suitable for your needs.

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

If you're talking video editing, firewire 400/800, or get yourself some eSATA.

400 is fine too... especially for 'home movies'.

4. cydspal thread starter macrumors member

Is there a difference in esata and the internal sata drives that apple would install?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, eSATA is external (that's what the e stands for). You won't have an eSATA port to hook up to on your machine, though, but you could add an eSATA PCI card if you want the extra speed (it's essentially as fast as the internal SATA). Actually though, it'd be cheaper since you have a Mac Pro just to add another internal drive, which would work fine as well.

jW

6. jtblueberry macrumors regular

You can buy the exact same drives that apple would install. In fact, you may be able to find some that run faster. They should be just as fast whether installed internally or through eSATA (sometimes faster through eSATA).
    www.barefeats.com has some speed tests.
    You can add 2 eSATA ports for $25 with a cable from otherworldcomputing. Check the link I gave you in your last post on the same question.
    This is the fastest, best solutions for what you are asking to do.
    Of course, you could just add another internal, but, if your computer crashes it would be nice to have your hd in an external enclosure that has firewire ports too.
    I know you want to hear that Time Capsule will be ok for video editing but I don't think it will be.

7. cydspal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, yes I have all but written off TC for dealing with my video files, but I think I like it as basic backup drive for day to day files and I love the network printer function! Any idea when they are going to start to sell it?