time capsule - a theoretical application

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tfitzsimons, Feb 10, 2008.

1. tfitzsimons macrumors member

hello all,

i'm writing to ask if anyone can tell me if a time capsule will suit my needs. let me lay it all out and explain my concerns..

i have a macbook pro and a 500gb external hard drive, which is about a third of the way full. i'm a pretty avid photographer, and sometimes a professional photographer depending on how much work i can squeeze in around school, so i have a lot of images on there that i would like to have backed up in another place.

i would like to have a total backup solution, for my internal and external hard drives. i don't want to have to think about it too much.

if i were to get a 1tb time capsule and connect my 500gb drive to it...

1. would the 500gb drive be about as fast as if it were directly connected to my computer? remember, i'm working with many large image files already, so it tends to be slower than using my internal hard drive.

2. would the time capsule back up the 500gb drive that was attached to it?

2a. would the time capsule have to direct all the files from the 500gb drive, through the time capsule, through my computer, and back to the time capsule in order to back up? i imagine that would get slow quickly.

any thoughts about these questions would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!

tim

2. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

yes. the external drive would have to communicate back to the computer then the Time Capsule to back up if it is directly connected to the Time Capsule. The external drive will not be as fast connected to the Time Capsule as it is directly connected to the MBP. The wireless connection adds some delay and can be dependent on how much of the wireless bandwidth is in use.