Time capsule - access and lots more..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MontyW, May 23, 2012.

1. MontyW macrumors member

I don't post here often as I don't usually have problems with my Macs - however, this time I do and need your help.

First let me say I am no 'technician' so I will do my best describe what has taken place.

Issue: iMac Core Duo (Lion OSX) HD failure and Smart Drive failure all within a few hours of each other. HD went from grey screen and flashing folder icon, I did all the usual things of disk utilities and repair disk etc... but eventually I got alerts to back up now as HD failing. Smart Drive disk stuck at the same time.

I use a Time Capsule for my back up and I have a backup that was performed 30 minutes before HD failure.

I need to know if the following are possible and if so how do I do it;

I have a MacBook Pro and is it possible for me to access some folders and files from the Time Capsule and is so how? The folders I'm interested in are quite large so I guess using ethernet cable rather than wireless would be better?

Is it possible to retreive my emails from the Time Capsule, if so how and what folder would they be in?

Purely coinsidnece, I'm due to pick up a new 2.5GHz Mac Mini on Friday and I was wondering is it possible to replicate/mirror what was exactly on my iMac and use the last backup from the Time Capsule, would all my prgrams, key chains etc come over and if so, how would I do this?

I hope you can help.

Thanks,

Monty

2. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You can restore your Time Capsule backup to your new mac.

Apple recommends using Migration Assistant on the new mac to pull the files from the Time Capsule.

They have a knowledge base article about backups that has a section on your questions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427?viewlocale=en_US

3. MontyW thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that's very helpful - getting new HD fitted tomorrow.