Time Capsule - accessing music files from both a Mac and a PC ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CHSeifert, Feb 22, 2011.

1. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I'm about to get a MBA Ultimate laptop with the Time Capsule 2TB drive and would like to place my 1TB music collection on it (not iTunes library, but straight music files in folders)
    I need to use some of the Time Capsule drive for Time Machine backup of the MBA laptop and then use the rest for the music files.

Problem is that I need to be able to access the music files from my PC and also my Sonos music system - is it possible to have a format on the Time Capsule drive that can be read by both a mac and a PC ?

Thanks in advance !

----
    Vh/Regards
    Claus [iPhone

2. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

BUMP !!!

Please help me :)

----
    Vh/Regards
    Claus [iPhone

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

The Time Capsule drive can be read by both Mac and Windows from the start. Even though the drive is formatted as HFS+, Time Capsule allows Macs to access the drive using AFP and Windows using SMB. Windows will incorrectly report that the TC's drive is formatted as FAT32, but it should work without any issues (no 4GB filesize limit, etc.)

Edit: You cannot format the Time Capsule's drive without opening it up and connecting the HDD to the computer. You can just place your music files onto the Time Capsule and it will automatically use the remaining space for Time Machine backups, but I suggest purchasing either a USB HDD or a NAS to connect to the Time Capsule for your music files. If using a NAS, you may be able to set up an iTunes server for easier and faster access across both platforms.

4. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Thanks for your helpful answer :)

I intend to connect my Western Digital External StudioDedign 2 TB USB drive to the Time Capsule device and then access my music files through that on my PC.

However I also just ordered the Airport Express unit - so shouldn't I be able to use this devise in connection with the Time Capsule device and my MacBook Air Ultimate to play music on my HiFi system ?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help :)

----
    Vh/Regards
    Claus [iPhone

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean you intend to use iTunes on your MacBook Air with the library situated on the Time Capsule to stream music to speakers connected to the Express? If so, then yes that should work just fine. You'll need to point your iTunes to the library sitting on the external connected to the Time Capsule but that's fairly easy to do.

Or rather are you asking if you can use the Express in conjuction with the Time Capsule as they are both technically routers? If so, then also yes. The Express has the ability to join an existing wireless network as a client and can be used for AirPlay that way as well. It's very simple to do, and even moreso with an Apple router, such as the Time Capsule.

If you meant something else, I apologize but I'm going to need a bit of clarification.

6. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Thanks for taking the time to understand me :)

Frankly I'm not sure what I want to be honest.

Thought about buying a Sonos system, but if I can use my MacBook Air in conjunction with the Time Capsule and Airport Express to play and stream music to both my HiFi system (via the Airport express) and to my PC (via the External Western Digital Studio Design 2 Tb connected to the Time Capsule) WHILE STILL OBTAINING A HIGH QUALITY MUSIC OUTPUT, then I will consider dumping my idea of the Sonos music system (which will save me 800

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Using iTunes with the files stored on a TC might lag though. I tried it myself and I couldn't stand the delay when clicking on songs to play them so back the files went onto my harddrive.

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Good point. A gigabit NAS would definitely increase speed when accessing the files. I have my library on a D-Link DNS-323 1.5TB RAID1 NAS and I don't notice any lag when switching songs whatsoever.

9. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

But I bought the Time Capsule because Apple told me it was very fast and smooth running for uploading music files to my HiFi system :(
    Maybe I should cancel the order or downgrade to a 1 Tb TimeCapsule if it can't be used effectively for anything else than Time Machine, which I frankly have very little use for since I backup using Dropbox and evernote and google docs already......hmmm....

----
    Vh/Regards
    Claus [iPhone

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You could try it still. That's how it worked out for me though, it'll probably be the same for you. It's fine if you don't mind the slight lag, but I don't know how a 1 tb library would be affected. Mine is relatively small at 70 gb and I was having trouble so...

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

First of all... it is great that your data is backed up to the cloud. I consider the cloud to be my primary backup.

Don't underestimate the value of having a secondary backup (local) using TM. When it is time to update your computer... or if you have a crash... restoring from your TC will prove to be very valuable and painless.

/Jim

12. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I agree that restore from a local harddrive is nice and safe, but what I mean here is that my Macbook Air will only be a secondary computer fir me to use at the university/college for longer documents and spreadsheets and a bit of websurfing on the fly.

Most of my websurfing, blogging, E reading and mailcheck on the fly will be done on my iPad however.

So I have only docs and sheets to backup, and I do this to the cloud each day on my way home in the train. All my music is on my pc at home and backed up to a big external harddrive and 5 starred music tracks are only iPhone 4.

So I feel like I have no real important stuff I need to recover in case my MacBook Air crashes :)
    I also have the SuperDrive, so in a matter of hours I'm up and running again. Maybe this works better and faster to recover from scratch from a TimeCapsule device - time will tell as the TimeCapsule 2TB is on its way to me now ;)

----
    Vh/Regards
    Claus [iPhone

13. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Have you thought about purchasing a Airport Extreme w/ an attached external hard drive? You would be able to partition the external HD to make sure your TM backups don't fill up your drive space.

Personally I feel that is the one product lacking from :apple: product offerings. I currently have a Mini act as a glorified media server for my MBP, (2) Apple TVs, PC and iPad. Then the Mini and MBP backup to my TC. I'm hoping that Apple's rumored cloud service will eliminate the need for my Mini.