Time Capsule Acting As A Wireless Router + Repeater

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JustinK101, Feb 11, 2009.

1. JustinK101 macrumors newbie

I just bought a Time Capsule 500gb and trying to get it integrated with my home network. Basically I have a standard NetGear b/g wireless router plugged into the cable modem downstairs.

Then upstairs I have the Time Capsule and a printer plugged into the Time Capsule USB port. I wish to setup the Time Capsule to act a repeater for the NetGear downstairs, and then actually connect to the internet through the Time Capsule, which is wireless N. So, to clarify, I want to connect with my MacBook to the internet through the Time Capsule instead of directly connecting to the downstairs NetGear router.

Is this possible? I tried selecting the option 'Extend A Wireless Network' but all this does it attach the Time Capsule onto the wireless network downstairs as a client node. My macbook still has to try and get a signal to connect to the downstairs NetGear, not what I want. I want my MacBook to connect to the Time Capsule to get internet.

Hopefully makes sense, thanks.

2. coopermac macrumors member

Confusing title, it's a Time Capsule not a Time Machine.

The TC is probably best connected to your existing router via ethernet in bridge mode. You can then set it to give ethernet or wireless connections to other devices as part of your existing network or as a seperate network.

See the links on the below page for more information first and come back here if you get stuck.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/airport/

3. JustinK101 thread starter macrumors newbie

coopermac,

I am trying to figure out how to set it up in bridge mode. Could you provide the settings I should be selecting in the AirPort setup utility? Thanks.