Time Capsule & ADSL Broadband

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MikeyC, Jan 20, 2008.

1. MikeyC macrumors newbie

It states on the info that the time capsule is for DSL broadband connections.

Living in a non-cabled area we are forced into using ADSL broadband. Is there any way to get the time capsule to work on ADSL?

Thanks.

2. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I don't believe it matters as the time capsule doesn't have a modem/router built into it.

It says you can "Connect your DSL or cable modem to Time Capsule and quickly create a new wireless network" so anything will do. The Time Capsule will act as the wireless switch for your home network. If you already have a wireless router then the wireless should be switched off on this and use the time capsule, hard wired to it, as your wireless provider.

HTH

- D

3. MikeyC thread starter macrumors newbie

So, lets see if i understood that correctly.

I have a combo modem/router, so I can turn the wireless feature off the modem/router, hard wire it to the Capsule, and the capsule will then become the router? And my iMac, Macbook and windows PC can all get on the net wirelessly?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

1st, ADSL is DSL (Asynchronous). Like 1024 down, 256 up. 1024 down/up would be SDSL (Synchronous). Bigger pipe down than up, that's all.

2nd, wired or wirelessly, the TC is an AEBS with a hard drive, so it has full routing capabilities, likely superior to the combo unit. You could have a huge number of devices on the TC (so set the security accordingly!)

ADSL line in ---> ADSL Modem ----> Time Capsule - - - - > Macs!

5. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

That's it!

- D

6. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

You would be better off scrapping your wireless ADSL router and buying an ADSL modem.

7. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Why? -- i.e. the provider supplied us the combo router/modem so is there some other negative about just switching off the wireless on the combo unit, vs buying the adsl modem-only?

8. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I can't see any benefit in this, except having a lighter wallet.

The (wireless) modem would be doing exactly the same as an ADSL modem.

Most combo modem/routers can have the wireless disabled.

9. MacGospelspread macrumors newbie

Time Capsule with DSL router and guest network

I have my TC connected to the DSL router (Internet+TV), creating a new network whilst the router creates another and I cannot create the guest network on TC which I have set up on "bridge mode".
    I have tried replacing bridge mode with "share public IP" (I think...) but I lost the signal on my TV which displayed a warning that the service provider could not find the IP. Any suggestions on how to set up the guest network on TC in these circumstances?

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I found out that unless the Time Capsule / Airport Extreme Base Station is set up as the DHCP/NAT server, it won't allow you to set up a guest WiFi network for some reason (plus I think it might affect the 'Back to my Mac' stuff too). Obviously if you've already got a ADSL Router then you can just plug it into the TC/AEBS which will work, but won't solve the above problem.

The way around this is to get an ADSL Modem (I chose the Linksys AM200) and set it up as a half-bridge. This means the TC/AEBS works 100% as it wants to (ie, it handles DHCP, NAT etc) with only a small outlay on the modem (mine was £15-20 if I remember correctly).

For most purposes just connecting your ADSL Router to the TC/AEBS will work grand, but if you want the TC/AEBS to handle everything itself and allow full functionality you need an ADSL modem in a half-bridge configuration. It's a bit of tinkering but once it's set up you can forget about it.

I wish Apple would develop a model which includes an ADSL Modem built-in but I don't see that happening somehow...